Disapointed in Tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Boy did Tarm burst my bubble. I installed my Solo40 and the pressure gauge is defective. I called their tech. support and was basically told to go to hell (In many words)
They agreed that the gauge is defective but that shouldn't impede it's operation.
They wouldn't budge on sending a replacement gauge.
The gauge is 10 psi. off. I think that's substantial. Apparently they believe its no big deal.
I'm really shocked. Everybody here says Tarm has great support, I know they have good tech. assistance.
After spending this much money on a boiler I expect the gauge to work.

A pressure gauge costs about ten bucks. I don't know why they decided to piss you off over such a trivial item. And yes, ten psi is a pretty big defect, I'd say, considering that your system will be running at 12 or 15 psi most of the time.

See if you can talk to your original salesperson.

I don't really care about the gauge or the cost of it. I'm just disappointed in what I thought is a great company that stands behind their product. I even told them that I'm a regular on this forum and we all discuss Tarm products and that fell on deaf ears. Maybe Tarm sold their quota for the year, or they are just so busy now that they just don't care. Maybe they are just importers looking to make a fast buck. Too bad!

Basic fact of life: Some people are jerks. Unless there's a pattern, I wouldn't be too quick to condemn Tarm - could just be someone having a bad day.

I'd count to ten and write a nicely worded letter describing the circumstances and mail it to their Lyme New Hampshire location. Ask for written reply. People are much less likely to commit such a decision to paper.

Tarm, the manufacturer, was always quite a good company. I cannot speak for the importers nor the customer service folks they have who make these petty decisions. I can say, without question, that if you had called me when I was the importer (I sold the company to the current importer), I would have sent that out right away.

As to great support, etc......I would use that only in comparison. The Tarm folks have parts for boilers 20+ years old and usually do not oversell their products. But I don't think they were ever noted for being above and beyond the call of duty on customer service. Having moved up to New England a couple years ago, I have found a certain lack of customer service at some places.....it's not that they try to be nasty, but the assumption is that we are all Yankees together and don't need to be catered to. My old hardware store back in NJ used to have people greet you at the door and take you right to the aisle you needed.

I have heard similar reports (won't give the time of day) over the years after I sold it, but having known the principals for years (they both passed away recently), I was familiar with their new england ways.

I wrote them a letter like Nofos. advised. Lets see if I get a reply.
By the way, that hardware store you owned wasn't in Susssex County was it?

It often comes down to who answers the phone with matters like this. That being said I cannot imagine this response that you (chuck) got could be their policy with defective equipment. I would think the worst that they would say is that you would have to wait a long time for a back ordered part. Sorry to here of the bad luck.

The tech. I spoke with put me on hold three times. He was probably checking with his bosses on what to do with me. I hope Tarm makes good and answers my letter. For all I care they can keep the gauge and just a polite apology would be fine.

Tarm has provided me with good support on my Tarm 40 bought last summer of 2007. That said, I did not rely on them to guide me through installation, only to solve operating problems. I think it is somewhat unrealistic for an importer of a complicated product, with a dealer network, to provide support a dealer/installer should. If you install yourself, you need to be able to solve the problems which industry standards (experience boiler installer) provide.

That said, a defective item is within warranty, and I agree Tarm should have jumped on providing you with a replacement gauge, no questions asked other than where to send it.

I just received a phone call from Scott McNichols(sp.) from Tarm. Scott was very apologetic for the way I was treated over the pressure gauge. They got a new tech. and the man made a mistake. He is mailing me a new gauge pronto.
Scott is a very polite and interesting man. We talked about wood boilers for the better part of an hour.
You were right about writing the letter Nofossil. thanks.

I visited Tarm USA in early June (they're only about an hour from me) and was truly impressed with their willingness to show me around their products and their very cool "test bed" of boilers, storage, etc. The fact that they were already back-ordered into September (as of early June) made me go with another make, but Tarm seemed _very_ service oriented, which is what I have also heard from other folks in my area with older Tarms & who've needed parts & support.

one factor to consider here is that all of these high efficiency boilers have gone from "niche" market to something that the manufacturers, importers, dealers, etc., are suddenly scrambling to keep up with demand- which is good for their business, and for innovation, but it must be a challenge (though indeed an important one) to keep quality of customer service high

He didn't, but we did talk about storage and he was telling me about his plans for Tarm to begin marketing tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.