Disappointed and confused!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyguitars

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2009
Orange County, New York
I had a big disappointment three weeks ago. I ordered and Oslo after extensive reading and advice from my fello forum members. I had my stove store come out to conduct a survey on where it should go ect. I waited a month for an install date. The big day came and the installer got on my roof to see where to put the chimney. He then calls me aside and says I cant install it because u have a channel where the chimney would go, and you would have to reconfigure the roof ect. Needless to say I was beyond pissed off. They advised me to get a pellet stove because of its ease to install. I already have a Harman P61 downstairs, I wanted a wood stove. They packed and left. Just to back up. I have a 2100 sq ft Bi-Level ranch. The stove was going to be a corner install with vaulted ceilings. He told me I would have to get a roofer and a chimney person out there to build up a chimney. I didnt want to incur any more expenses. These installers have been around for over twenty years. After a slight depression, I decided to call another company and explained to them my situation. They couldn't believe it. They said we just need to offset the flue from the stove using 2 45's. He came out and got on my roof and told me that it could be done with no problems at all. This the confused the hell out of me. Both companies have been around for a very long time and sell alot of wood stoves. I want to his showroom and he recomended a Pacific Energy T4. I liked the T5 better for the larger box. Anyway, has this happened to anyone before? I know PE is a great stove. I guess we shall see.

Hard to say without actually being there / seeing first hand. While reading the first half of your post I was thinking to myself, "Hard to imagine a situation where the flue couldn't be offset a bit to go through the roof somewhere" So if the second outfit says it can be done and to code, then you should be set. A couple of 45's are not too big of a deal for draft.

I can only speculate the companies may have been around for a long time, but the specific installers which came to your job may have varying degrees of experience or maybe the first misunderstood something and thought you wanted an absolutely straight pipe?

Johnnyguitars said:
I had a big disappointment three weeks ago. I ordered and Oslo after extensive reading and advice from my fello forum members. I had my stove store come out to conduct a survey on where it should go ect. I waited a month for an install date. The big day came and the installer got on my roof to see where to put the chimney. He then calls me aside and says I cant install it because u have a channel where the chimney would go, and you would have to reconfigure the roof ect. Needless to say I was beyond pissed off. They advised me to get a pellet stove because of its ease to install. I already have a Harman P61 downstairs, I wanted a wood stove. They packed and left. Just to back up. I have a 2100 sq ft Bi-Level ranch. The stove was going to be a corner install with vaulted ceilings. He told me I would have to get a roofer and a chimney person out there to build up a chimney. I didnt want to incur any more expenses. These installers have been around for over twenty years. After a slight depression, I decided to call another company and explained to them my situation. They couldn't believe it. They said we just need to offset the flue from the stove using 2 45's. He came out and got on my roof and told me that it could be done with no problems at all. This the confused the hell out of me. Both companies have been around for a very long time and sell alot of wood stoves. I want to his showroom and he recomended a Pacific Energy T4. I liked the T5 better for the larger box. Anyway, has this happened to anyone before? I know PE is a great stove. I guess we shall see.

Look on the bright side: at least you didn't overpay for a woodstove and are now on a course to get a stove with nearly perfect price/value alignment!

The truth be told they could make more of a profit installing a pellet stove than a wood stove. you can easily offset your chimmey with two 45's, I'am glad you got a second opinion. sounds like to me the guy was to sorry to go the extra mile and sell you what you ask for . get the t-5 wood stove , I almost purcased one in the spring, they are a really good looking stove and the reviews are very high, good luck let us know how everthing turns out.

It would help to see pictures of the issue, but the problem doesn't sound like a dead-end. FWIW, our T6 has 2-45s on the connector to compensate for the offset of the ceiling support box which was set up for an F400. It works fine.

Sounds to me like a) the installer was truly incompetent, b) the installer was being lazy, c) the installer saw something else here that the second installer may have missed or d) the installer really wasn't very motivated to make a sale.

In any case, it sounds like you're well on your way to getting a woodstove . . . even if it is a PE. ;) And yeah, just kidding . . . lots of good reviews here about the PE line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.