Discolouration inside new wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crysta

Dec 26, 2019
Leicester
Hi there,
I’m quite new to wood stoves, have had a Jøtul F100 for about 3 weeks now. We’ve been using every night and it’s been great but I’ve noticed the inside of the firebox is already discoloured - rust-coloured. Is this rust and if so, 1. Is it normal, 2. What can I do to prevent/help with this?

sorry if this is a dumb question but I just want to make sure I’m not damaging the stove somehow, I only burn kiln dried hard wood with under 20% moisture and there does not appear to be any condensation or humidity issues so I’m not sure the cause if it is something wrong.
Thanks in advance!
68A45041-912C-44B1-A8BF-761D15DD9CC3.jpeg

Better be careful. That rust might weaken the stove in a hundred years or so!

Reactions: Crysta
Better be careful. That rust might weaken the stove in a hundred years or so!
oh no! Only a hundred years! I wanted it to last at least 4 times that long! Haha I know a bit of a ridiculous worry, but just wanted to check As it’s only been 3 weeks and I generally worry overly.

oh no! Only a hundred years! I wanted it to last at least 4 times that long! Haha I know a bit of a ridiculous worry, but just wanted to check As it’s only been 3 weeks and I generally worry overly.
Not at all, thats a pretty big item to purchase so of course you want maximum lifespan of it.

Reactions: Crysta
Thanks for the understanding and responses! It’s very reassuring to know it’s normal and I shouldn’t worry. I’ve done soooo much research on how to use the stove best but there certainly is some conflicting information out there and my manual was so basic and general it was not particularly helpful!
Do you have any input on ideal running temps? Both stove and pipe temps? There was nothing in my manual for wood (the manual mine came with was for both the multi-fuel and wood only stove) but the only advice was for burning coal not to run at more than 280c. Mine is the wood only version: in the American manual of ve found it says ideal running temp for stove top temp is 400-600f. I’m currently waiting for my thermometers to arrive but I’d appreciate any advice although I know ideal temps can vary by manufacturer.