Disconnecting Hydronic Baseboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2013
Potsdam, NY
I'm trying to continue moving further from oil burning and keep moving more toward heating exclusively with wood. Toward that goal I'm going to be insulating my basement with foam board. My basement is good and dry and has excellent drainage outside, so I'm a good candidate for it. The sticking point I have right now if that my basement has a hydronic baseboard circuit around all four parameter walls with its own heat zone. My plan is to disconnect that circuit, leave everything mostly intact but make a cut at each corner so I can move each run in from the wall, insulate behind it, then leave everything in place so that in case the basement still needs supplementary heating its quick and easy to reconnect everything. If the basement stays well above freezing without heat from the boiler, I'd like to repurpose the circuit for use in a different room of the house.

Never having worked on base board heat before, I had a few questions about disconnecting it.

Before I cut into the pipe, can I just close the valves on both sides of the circuit and disconnect the thermostat?
Will I need to disconnect power to the boiler all together?
When I reconnect the circuit, is any special equipment needed to fill and bleed the loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.