Diseased Pine Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davo1028

Feb 5, 2019
Central OH
I live in Central Ohio and have noticed quite a few dead pine trees recently. I'm not certain what type they are, but they seem like they might be white pine. They have fairly long branches with drooping needles, and grayish bark. The ones I see are usually around thirty or forty feet tall. Does anyone know if there is some sort of disease or bug that is killing off the pine trees?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tips on splitting pine. I picked up a truckload of it a few months ago that was cut down to about 12 inch lengths and anything with knots was a bear to split. I ended up leaving the pieces with knots pretty large, about twice as wide as I would have liked to. I know pine isn't great for BTUs, but since it seasons quickly if I can get better at splitting it I wouldn't be opposed to adding more of it to the woodpile if it's going to be easy to find around here.

I live in Central Ohio and have noticed quite a few dead pine trees recently. I'm not certain what type they are, but they seem like they might be white pine. They have fairly long branches with drooping needles, and grayish bark. The ones I see are usually around thirty or forty feet tall. Does anyone know if there is some sort of disease or bug that is killing off the pine trees?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tips on splitting pine. I picked up a truckload of it a few months ago that was cut down to about 12 inch lengths and anything with knots was a bear to split. I ended up leaving the pieces with knots pretty large, about twice as wide as I would have liked to. I know pine isn't great for BTUs, but since it seasons quickly if I can get better at splitting it I wouldn't be opposed to adding more of it to the woodpile if it's going to be easy to find around here.
I have always been told to ID White Pine by counting the needles on a single cluster, 5 needles approximately 4" in length in my Western PA experience.

I don't know specifics about what white pines are suffering from in latitudes like Ohio and Indiana (where I live). But their natural range is farther north, beginning maybe halfway up Michigan. My guess for the last 15 years has been that they're weaker in the lower midwest when planted, and more susceptible to various things. They also seem structurally weaker, and snap off in high winds.

I think I've been lucky with splitting. The small amounts of white pine I've scrounged split effortlessly. It's firewood. Excellent kindling. Seasons fast. I season it a lot, as it seems to have less resin that way.

I found some info from OSU on what might be up with the pine trees around here. Article link here.

Not sure about how to make splitting any easier, but I should probably get a full size sledge hammer for my wedges, instead of just using my mini sledge.

Could be bagworms...they came through here and did a number on my arborvitaes last year...found some in the white pines too, but got them sprayed before they did much damage there...killed some of the bushes though.
Most people never know they are even there, until its too late.

The trees in this picture are White Pine.
101_9832.JPG

Here's some info that might help you.

A few more links with some good info.