Dismantle of Jøtul 118CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flyboyslc

Sep 22, 2019
Iowa
Hello,

New to this forum. Did a search for Jøtul 118CB and did not find anything, so maybe I am looking in wrong place? Hope I am posting this in correct place! I bought a used Jøtul 118CB and need to remove the top to replace a fire blanket and repair a cracked top baffle. Looks like i could reach the front bolts through the door. Wondering how to get to the back bolts? Also wondering how to remove the cast iron back on the stove. There are two nuts, which I removed. There are also two stove bolts with the nut I am assuming is inside the stove, but not visible when looking inside. So must be behind the fire brick? Anyone take one of these apart before?

Thanks for any help.

I haven’t dismantled a 118cb. I have rebuilt a 602cb and a 118 though. I learned the hard way on the 602cb, ratchet strap the body together, then remove the top, otherwise the whole thing falls apart when you take the top off. For a baffle replacement there should be no need to dismantle the stove, it should all be accessible from inside.

I haven’t dismantled a 118cb. I have rebuilt a 602cb and a 118 though. I learned the hard way on the 602cb, ratchet strap the body together, then remove the top, otherwise the whole thing falls apart when you take the top off. For a baffle replacement there should be no need to dismantle the stove, it should all be accessible from inside.

Thanks Webby. I think i have to at least remove the top to get the horizontal baffle removed and replaced. The old style baffle was a problem in the 118cb stove. Jotul modified them to a two piece design to remedy the cracking problems. Good tip on strapping the stove.