Dismantling a beast of a furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Sorry I don't have pics of the various stages of the dismantle, but we're left with the core of an old Powrmatic combo wood/oil furnace and we're not sure exactly how to get it out of the basement. This SOB is heavy. Short of a torch, which I don't have, any thoughts? It's not cast iron, so I don't think taking a sledge to it will do any good.

Last winter was our first winter in the house. We are quite fortunate we opted not to use the beast. Check out the crack in the heat exchange. This thing was the primary heat source for the owners before us. Crazy.

Finally, any value in the blower we removed?

Attachments

• DSC_9675.JPG
    DSC_9675.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_9679_1024x685.JPG
    DSC_9679_1024x685.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_9684_1024x685.JPG
    DSC_9684_1024x685.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 178
Sawzall?
That blower must have moved a lot of air!

Angle grinder + a box of cut off wheels. Wear a dust mask or respirator.

That blower has to be worth something. Holy cow batman!!!

definite sawzall but with a really good mask and use a exhaust fan while doing it. you can't believe how bad that dust is.

Maybe just drag it out the same way it went in. Or see if a scrapper off CL can come up with a deal that would work for you.

I hope you have confirmed that the insulation is non asbestos !

Reactions: Frozen Canuck
Angle grinder + a box of cut off wheels. Wear a dust mask or respirator.

That blower has to be worth something. Holy cow batman!!!
+1, same thoughts here

What will you do with it once it's out?

If you don't have that lined up, follow along the lines of ew's post - you might find a scrap guy that would get it out & haul it away in a deal that will leave you both happy.

How big is the building this furnace serviced? If the blower works, somebody may buy it. Put it on CL.

indoor skydiving

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Reactions: Jags
Looks like we might be able get her out in one piece. I'll check CL to see if anyone wants the scraps. We'll have done the hard part of getting it out of the basement.

The original part of the house, built in the 30s, is only about 2,000 sf. Big unit for that amount of space, I think.

Will also throw the blower on CL to see if there's any interest. If not, I see a giant bubble blower for the kiddos.

Looks like we might be able get her out in one piece. I'll check CL to see if anyone wants the scraps. We'll have done the hard part of getting it out of the basement.

The original part of the house, built in the 30s, is only about 2,000 sf. Big unit for that amount of space, I think.

Will also throw the blower on CL to see if there's any interest. If not, I see a giant bubble blower for the kiddos.

If you don't have a dog leg in the stairs to the basement, get it strapped to a hand truck, tie it to the truck bumper and snatch it on out of there.

What will you do with it once it's out?

If you don't have that lined up, follow along the lines of ew's post - you might find a scrap guy that would get it out & haul it away in a deal that will leave you both happy.
Yep
My dad has a Husky "hot saw" for cutting up scrap. He hauls them out of basements all the time in manageable pieces.
CL is prolly your friend in this case.

don't forget to put a fan in a window or door blowing out. that will be your friend when the dust starts flying. that dust is fine enough to go upstairs into the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.