Distance between Combustion Intake and Gas Meter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thanley

Dec 31, 2011
Central Indiana
Finalizing the install on my Z42.

Want to run the combustion air intake out the side wall of the chase but the gas meter sits right there. It's 40 inches between the gas regulator/pressure release and where I want the hole to be. I think this falls in the 36 inch free space required and I "might" be okay but I wanted to get feedback on this. Running the air intake another direction isn't easy but obviously I will do so if needed.

Thoughts?

I don't have the code book here at home but believe any powered air inlet is 10 ft minimum distance from the natural gas regulator vent. (It's probably a 3 ft spec from an ignition source such as an air-conditioner condenser unit) Granted, your inlet air isn't technically "powered" but you can still get a pretty good suction when the stove draft is really pulling. If limited on where your inlet must go, talk to your gas company about moving the regulator vent. These can be piped along the outside wall to a screened vent pointing down. Depending on how far you need to pipe to get you required safety distance, the plumber or utility service technician may have to upsize the regulator vent pipe to the next size. These regulators need to sample outside air pressure to protect from over pressuring your inside appliances. Sometimes when those appliances are pulling gas then all the sudden shut down which stops the required flow of gas, the regulator vent may have to dump a small amount of gas to maintain the correct pressure inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.