Distributing heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Disturbed1

Feb 11, 2018
Illinois
I recently bought and installed a new US Stove company wood burner. It puts out great heat but I'm trying to figure out how to distribute the heat better. The half of the room close to it is nice and warm while the other half is a lot cooler. Would a fan pointing towards the stove be better or away? Or does it really matter?

Try putting a table or box fan in the cooler area, on the floor, pointing unblocked toward the stove room. Run it on low speed and give it about 30 minutes to help equalize temps.

Reactions: Disturbed1
Welcome to the forum Disturbed1 - I would suggest doing a search of this forum regarding heat distribution - you will find enough threads and comments to keep you busy until summer time. There are a lot of ideas tried and tested. Stove blower, ceiling fans, box fan as begreen suggested.

I would add that using our HVAC blower in my case did not help, probably because HVAC ducting is outside the insulated envelope of our home.

Try putting a table or box fan in the cooler area, on the floor, pointing unblocked toward the stove room. Run it on low speed and give it about 30 minutes to help equalize temps.

+1 . . . it's all about setting up the air flow.