Woodstove layout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nickerbocker57

Oct 31, 2023
Indiana
Making some adjustments to how I move the heat through my home. Currently I have a box fan in the stove room header pushing heat out into the kitchen and dining room, and a box fan in the dining room on the floor pushing cold air back towards the stove room. This has served me well the past 2 years, but the farside of the house does always stay a fair bit cooler and im attempting to remedy this. This is a rental home with plaster walls still, so id rather not cut out any holes for wall mounted fans. This is the general design, all measurements are ballparked, but closely within reason of accuracy. Stove size is approx 2.5x2.5x2

Woodstove layout.jpg

That’s a tough job for your stove location.

I would turn your fan around to blow cool air into the stove room. Another fan from dining room to the kitchen, and a third from the living room to the dining room.

Reactions: NickW
That’s a tough job for your stove location.

I would turn your fan around to blow cool air into the stove room. Another fan from dining room to the kitchen, and a third from the living room to the dining room.
So let both of my fans be pushing cold air towards and into the stove room. Concept being, push as much cold air into the stove room to keep pushing the hot air out correct? I don't mind adding more fans to the system either. Right now its just those 2, plus ceiling fans in the dining, front, big bedroom, all reversed to push the heat down.

Yes, you want a convection loop to form. The cold air goes into the warm area, pushing the heated air out.

I don’t think I’d go out and buy a lot for fans at once. The best heated room will always be the stove room and the heat will be less and less the further the room is from the stove. I’d try the 3 fans and see how that works, then add a couple more of the results are good. Things like narrow doorways and the amount of wall above a doorway makes a big difference in heat transfer. In your house, the heat has a pretty tough path.

I don’t think I’d go out and buy a lot for fans at once. The best heated room will always be the stove room and the heat will be less and less the further the room is from the stove. I’d try the 3 fans and see how that works, then add a couple more of the results are good. Things like narrow doorways and the amount of wall above a doorway makes a big difference in heat transfer. In your house, the heat has a pretty tough path.
Yeah whoever originally designed this wasnt thinking very well when they decided on stove placement. IMO its in the worst possible place it could have been installed. I appreciate the advice and suggestions.