Distribution temp...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKM-540

Jan 5, 2016
SW Virginia
Hello everyone! Been reading this forum for a little while now. Decided to purchase a Harman XXV last month & had it installed by the seller. Temperatures have been on the mild side and up till now had no reason to question the heat coming off it; but the last couple days it's kinda given this thing and me a test. And either me or it are failing miserably. It's taken all morning to bring the living room up from 67* to 70* - temperature reading and stove are in the same room. Am I expecting too much? 4 hours plus to get the main living area to come up 3*. Outside temps were in the low 20's this morning but are now getting up to the low 30's. Flames are yellow and "stiff" with at times a tint of blue towards the bottom. Placing a meat thermometer in front where the distribution exhaust exits I get at most 160* regardless of whether it's in constant burn or room temperature mode (feed rate 4 & distribution fan on high). I'm thinking that's not good enough. I read on here people are getting well over 200*. Pellets are Turman premium hardwood which came with the stove. And unless I'm mistaken seem to be a good brand. I realize that there's tons of variables between every stove, house, setup, & brand of pellets but some help would be greatly appreciated! My gut is telling me the pellets...,

Thank you for your time and make it a great day!

I'll reply to my own thread by saying and admitting... "I've got a lot to learn."

Read through the manual and some threads here on the forum for the umpteenth time & maybe it's finally sinking in. Getting 180* now...

Reactions: bogieb
If your house was cooler inside when you started the stove then it might take awhile to get everything heated up. How many SQ FT are you trying to heat and what's your home's envelope like? Insulated well? Details so we can offer suggestions and help. there are many people getting great heat out of your particular stove.

Glad you could help yourself - there is a certain satisfaction in that. Hey yeah, the manual is sometime a good place to start ;).

Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions - but prepared to get grilled on the set up, setting, cleaning routine etc. (it helps everyone diagnose and/or give suggestions). And, do yourself (and us) a favor and put your stove in your signature line, with any pertinent info, to make it easier for people to identify what stove you are talking about.

If your house was cooler inside when you started the stove then it might take awhile to get everything heated up. How many SQ FT are you trying to heat and what's your home's envelope like? Insulated well? Details so we can offer suggestions and help. there are many people getting great heat out of your particular stove.

Thanks for replying! The stove had been running all night and we had the house built in 2008. It's a single level just shy of 1800 sq/ft... 6" exterior walls and insulated well. Main living area is open but the bedrooms are kinda out of the way.

It was all me messing things up! I just need to let the darn thing do its job and leave it alone!

Last edited:
Glad you could help yourself - there is a certain satisfaction in that. Hey yeah, the manual is sometime a good place to start ;).

Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions - but prepared to get grilled on the set up, setting, cleaning routine etc. (it helps everyone diagnose and/or give suggestions). And, do yourself (and us) a favor and put your stove in your signature line, with any pertinent info, to make it easier for people to identify what stove you are talking about.

It's kinda like listening to someone and actually hearing what someone is saying... After reading a thread on the forum again and apparently paying attention I figured out one thing I was doing wrong. I needed to stop messing with the feed rate; because it won't save me money or pellets by turning it down. I try to be frugal with my hard earned money and when I hear those pellets dropping I here quarters falling! I need to get over that...

Nice bike by the way!

Hang in there and let your stove teach you. Set the feed rate at 4 and leave it there. Are you running stove temp or room temp? Where is your room sensing probe located? If you haven't read and absorbed the Harman sticky at the top of the page (or in my signature) please do so.....we are here to help.

Hang in there and let your stove teach you. Set the feed rate at 4 and leave it there. Are you running stove temp or room temp? Where is your room sensing probe located? If you haven't read and absorbed the Harman sticky at the top of the page (or in my signature) please do so.....we are here to help.

I can be stubborn though....

I was trying to run stove temp but have it at room temp now. Feed is at 4; igniter is on disable so it will maintain without going out; thermostat on 4.5 or about 72*; fan on room temp roughly 3/4. Not sure if I should crank that all the way or cut it back... Wife is complaining of the sound and the amount of volume we have to turn the TV up to hear it. I have a large picture on the wall above the stove that I've run the wire behind. The last 3-4 inches are pointed out towards the room. It's the best option without extending it; which I may do eventually. I've read the sticky several times; but apparently didn't absorb it. In short; I was micromanaging it! The temperature outside has dropped back in the low 20's and I'm getting much better heat from it now! Thank you for your help!

Reactions: bags
Welcome BTW! Do as 007 above says and keep it there for awhile and just adjust your Temp Dial to whatever temperature you'd like it in your place. You do need to get some type of baseline as to how it works or does its thing. Messing with the knobs and stuff at this point and it being new is futile at best. Just get to know your new stove. Seriously. Keep reading too but don't jump in after you read and start spinning knobs etc.

On down the road you can make some adjustments to suit your needs and roll with the outside temp changes. As for now you probably would get some more heat with the dist. blower on high but if the boss lady pulls rank on ya then medium is fine too. Maybe turn it up when you are calling it a night and the temps drop to the lowest.

Reactions: BKM-540
Unless you have a very tall ceiling, it should not take that long to get the room where the stove is up to temp. Heck, my bedroom almost 40 feet away can have the temp raise 2-3 degrees in the matter of half an hour or so. Co
Nice bike by the way!

Thanks - I need to move down your way (or Bags' area) so I can ride it during winter though :).

Reactions: bags
Unless you have a very tall ceiling, it should not take that long to get the room where the stove is up to temp. Heck, my bedroom almost 40 feet away can have the temp raise 2-3 degrees in the matter of half an hour or so. Co

Thanks - I need to move down your way (or Bags' area) so I can ride it during winter though :).

Actually I do... The living room, entry, kitchen, & 2 dormers (which I wish were never built) are all vaulted. I keep the ceiling fan going constantly to keep the heat from collecting up there. I've been trying the HVAC fan on low to circulate the air throughout the whole house. I think it's helping a little....

Use to ride in the winter.... Key words "use to".:)

Status
Not open for further replies.