Diving in . . . cold turkey . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Buckhorn

Oct 27, 2011
WI
I've decided to go DIY on an wood stove install. I promise not to complain about any experience with contractors.

I'll be installing a Jotul F 500 "Oslo" SE, venting it from the back straight into a 9 x 13 chimney. I'll need to order a liner kit. But first, the hearth pad. The marble tiles are picked out; today I'm going to fetch some more pieces to get a uniform color.

With my luck you'll help me out if I get lost in the process. Let's see if I can finish before Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,139
  • fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,132
Welcome to the site!

Good luck and there are lots of people around to help as you need it.

Just an FYI, it looks like that duct is going to be too close to the stove.

It appears that the Oslo only needs ember protection under it. Have you chosen the type of board you are going to put under the tile?

Also, make sure you are familiar w/ the clearance to combustibles and the minimum hearthsizes / specs that are found in the manual.

pen

Thanks, pen.

The manual requires the type I ember protector. I'll take up the maple flooring for the hearth area and make it flush.

That wall with the vent will come down to enlarge the room.

The Oslo has a left hand side door. It will not be able to be used in this location unless the left side clearance is greater than 16". An option would be to angle the stove into the room to achieve this? If not, maybe consider a right-hand door stove or a front loader? How large an area will be heated by the stove?

That's right. I'll open up the wall to the left on the side that the Oslo has a door.

This will be supplemental to radiant floor heating for approx. 1600 sq ft. (830 on 1st floor with open stairs up to the same on the 2nd floor). I can open the door to an 800 sq ft. addition.

I really like that marble tile. I’ve used the same/similar tile on 2 hearths in previous houses I’ve owned. I’ll have to see if I can dig up a couple pictures for you. I am looking forward to your finished product! Be sure to post some pictures and good luck!

Welcome
Nice looking tile.
Good luck with the install.
When you have time, round up some seasoned wood. You'll need it.
Keep progress pictures coming, we love pictures :)

Jim, Good luck! watch your clearances to combustables.

"That’s right. I’ll open up the wall to the left on the side that the Oslo has a door"

What does this mean?

I'll be taking down the wall to the left of the chimney. The Oslo has a left side door for loading and must be locked if insufficient clearance.

Brought home the baby today.

My son figured out that the number of combinations to lay down the tile came to 2.4 x 10 to 18th!

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 864
She's a Beaut!

Matte black or the blue black?

That's a great looking stove, Jim! Looks like my Castine's bigger brother.

The color is matte black, but the sunlight is having fun.

Today the cement backer board is going down and I'll be chopping into the chimney.

Attachments

• Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 711
  • Untitled-11.jpg
    Untitled-11.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 670
It's nasty making that hole. I'm getting flashbacks from the halls of Moria. I wonder if dwarves use plastic against dust.

Attachments

• Dwarf2.jpg
    Dwarf2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 716
Keep us updated and the pics coming. Got seasoned wood yet? That puppy's hard to fire up without it. Good luck w the rest of the install.

Jim Buckhorn said:
The color is matte black, but the sunlight is having fun.

Today the cement backer board is going down and I'll be chopping into the chimney.

Ah ha . . . take that Shari . . . another matte black Oslo. ;) :)

Making steady progress.
Looking good.
Hurry first chance you get, winter's coming :)

On the roof today, pulling out the liner for the water heater. Wanna buy?

Attachments

• Untitled-10.jpg
    Untitled-10.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 468
Nice November day, 32 deg., with Sandhill cranes eyeing me from the sky.

Attachments

• Untitled-9.jpg
    Untitled-9.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 480
You must be getting close.
Saw the same birds here about 8 weeks ago, the one on the left has a bent right toe :lol:
Millions of migratory birds leave Alaska In Sept , pretty smart birds. Can't all be wrong. :)

Attachments

• 100_4888.jpg
    100_4888.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 372
Flex King Pro ? chimneylinerdepot.com ?

Instructions say to overlap the insulation. It's not wide enough. You have to pinch it and then some. Not nice.

I called them about the glue--it wasn't sticking. When I called to ask about the bottle they sent, the hombre on the phone said it was hair gel. I kid you not.

Attachments

• Untitled-17.jpg
    Untitled-17.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 352
Status
Not open for further replies.