diy biomass/newspaper briquettes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j7art2

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2014
Northern, MI
So, I've got a buddy who just picked up a paper route, and has been giving me all of the extra reams of newspapers every week that he gets. In a little over a month, I have gotten an entire truck load of extra newspaper (like a face cord lol)

I started doing some research on making those biomass or newspaper briquettes, and made 3 samples in a makeshift press.

After a bit of drying time, the samples I made lit instantly, and lasted almost an hour each when used as a shoulder wood in my wood furnace.

The down side is the makeshift press I made sucked. The one I made after it sucked even more. I finally decided to opt for a biomass/newspaper briquette maker. The one I'm getting was $47, and can make 4 at once.

The setup I've got so far, is a large tote with my water and biomass in it, which I mix with a circular saw ripping blade attached to a threaded rod and to my cordless drill. I then scoop the goop, press, and put on the shelf across from the wood furnace to dry.

My other buddy says I'm wasting my time, but I fire back telling him I can't go cut wood with a foot of snow on the ground at 9pm while watching TV in my nice warm basement. I have access to unlimited paper and unlimited cardboard, and it's silly to let it all go to waste. I was only able to get 7 cords of wood for this winter, and I'm not sure it's enough. It's better to have too much than not enough.

Do any of you make your own biomass or newspaper briquettes? Tips? Suggestions?

I have made them with saw dust and paper. I made a press out of 2x4, 3" pvc and 3 ton car jack. They burned well.

Anyone have a link/youtube video on how to do this. I am retired and have plenty of time on my hands. Sounds like a nice hobby to undertake.

Thanks

I've read of this and will eventually try it out. I'm curious to see where this goes.

Making a press is the most difficult process. After using several that suck, I just decided to buy one. The ones I've seen on youtube, do not allow for easy release of the brick once pressed; the major issue with a homemade press.

I made a 3.5" diameter, 24" long PVC tube with hundreds of holes drilled into it, and once pressed, the log is impossible to get out of the PVC. Lol. I figured the briquette makers make smaller ones, but I can make 4 at a time, they easy release, etc etc. Overall, it should be money well spent.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably not using a ripping saw blade either on my drill. It's only a matter of time til I hit a wall and cut a hole in the tote. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.