DIY hearth pad for Jotul F118 Cb Black Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulchick

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Central Virginia
Hi there!

We're about to get a Jotul Black Bear and are preparing to build a simple hearth pad in lieu of buying a prefab hearth pad. The dimensions of the pad are to be roughly 60in x 52in and we're wanting to dry stack either soapstone brick or clay brick on top of a layer of steel/plywood. Has anyone successfully dry stacked their pad? The reason why we don't want to use mortar is because we may want to open up the room a bit in the future and redoing the pad would be easier if we didn't have to break up the mortar. The floor is a solid wood floor, hence the need to use steel as a fire barrier.

I had run across a link a while back for a hearth pad installation diagram using studs, plywood and steel but have since lost it. Does anyone know the link i am talking about? Any help is great appreciated .. thanks!

It sounds like your plan will be fine. The steel will provide the non-combustible barrier. I'd have an edging border nailed or screwed in place to firmly retain the bricks.

jotulchick hows the black bear doing??

What are the typical stove top temps on that big bear when it's burning hot jc?

jotul said:
The BB is great and burns wood very efficiently. The trick is to get it cut to the appropriate length.

Thank you jotul. i'm looking for a good stove to put under the master bedroom.i will say i like the way the f400 heats.it would be nice to stay with jotul.

Jotuchick what type of over night burns are you getting??? in hours??

Status
Not open for further replies.