DIY Indoor House Filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Not sure if this is the correct forum. Please move if thats the case.

Ever since we installed the stove we noticed more dust. I decided to do a little research and learned that many people use a basic 20 inch box fan and attach filter(s) to it. In fact, during the fires the past several years in California, cities recommend dong this with a Merv 13 filter are higher to reduce indoor smoke.

I already had a couple Merv 8 deep 4 inch pleated filters and 20 inch box fan and decided to give it a try the other day. My wife thought I was doing another silly thing... Today she does not feel that way and likes the results. The amount of dust is significantly less and this is in a very large open room that is open to the kitchen and eating area, and running the fan for only 4-5 hours per day at medium speed. I read that 12 hours min is recommended. Both the amount of dust on the furniture and the dust particles seen floating in the sunlight are significantly less. No scientific data to share but only actual results per my wifes inspection :)

Their are several versions of doing this on youtube. Just sharing as someone else may find it useful.

Need a merv 13 to trap pm 2.5 smoke particles. Merv 13 on a box fan can be quite effective. During a heavy smoke day you would be surprised how quickly it starts getting dirty.

If the fires are out of control again next year, creating poor air quality, a Merv 13 filter will be used. Merv 13 is also better for allergy issues. Again, not that time of year. Currently using two Merv 8's deep pleated filters. One one input, the other on output. This certainly increases the Merv rating, or at least efficiency of trapping smaller particles. Cant say to what amount.

Need a merv 13 to trap pm 2.5 smoke particles. Merv 13 on a box fan can be quite effective. During a heavy smoke day you would be surprised how quickly it starts getting dirty.
It's scary to think you're breathing that stuff (and I realize you're probably trying to avoid that).
IIRC it's the smaller particles that embed themselves deeply in your lung tissue and can later cause problems.

I just put a couple of these together, since I use a box fan to circulate the cold air back towards the stove in my ranch and we use them for white noise for sleeping. My wife who is very sensitive to dust for allergies has already noticed a huge difference in the past week. We also have a pellet stove in the small "L" section of the ranch. I am sad that I did not do this a long time ago. I use tie raps to secure them to the back and then seal the edges with painters tape.

Saw this setup a few weeks back on the web. Good idea..

My wife moves the fan filter a couple feet near the wood stove when cleaning out the ashes. It does an excellent job of collecting the fine ash dust floating in the air.

Reactions: hockeypuck
My wife moves the fan filter a couple feet near the wood stove when cleaning out the ashes. It does an excellent job of collecting the fine ash dust floating in the air.
I have one near my pellet stove as well.. lots of fines when you are dumping pellets in and cleaning.