Do enamel finish and salt air mix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Island

Oct 24, 2009
NY
Anyone have experience with an enameled finish cast iron wood burning stove at or near the ocean? I am replacing a cast iron stove and love the enamel finish, but When I had a enamel Steam pot on top of my old stove the finish peeled off in a couple of years. Dont want the same to happen on my stove! Appreciate your thoughts

Fire Island,

We've been wood-burning in enamel stoves up here in Maine about 100 ft from the ocean for 17 years (3 Jotuls, all enamel finish) and have never had a problem with the enamel finishes on our stoves. We do see high humidity during the summer with frequent fog off of the water. BTW: My experience with those enamel steam pots is the same as yours - they chip and peel if you just look at them. We have been using All-Clad stainless kettles for the last few years and not only do they do a better job (for us) humidifying, they look a lot nicer, too, IMHO. We set them right on top of the stove (no trivet) and they don't affect the stove finish at all.

What was the steam pot made of (the base metal material), and how was the enamel finish applied? Could have just been a low quality accessory. Rick

If you make sure it isn't made in china with cheap enamel, you should be good to go. One thing to remember is the enamel can be etched by high salt air. If it gets "dewy" wipe it down. You are more likely to just get discoloration on the enamel and cast iron, rather than real damage. During the Summer months, Simonize the finish as a safe guard and put lots of dessicant in the box to stop the rust.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I am relieved to hear you haven't had issues with your Jotuls. (great stove until it broke). Would love to replace mine with the Ivory 3CB, but long wait and $$$. So still shopping around.
The steam pots are supposed to be cast iron with enamel paint, obviously not the same process as the stove. I like the kettle idea. Thanks

fossil said:
What was the steam pot made of (the base metal material), and how was the enamel finish applied? Could have just been a low quality accessory. Rick

I've gone through a couple, including a VC accessory steam pot (cast with "real" porcelain finish) and had the same problem with both. On one (probably cheaper -porcelain paint, prolly, threw it out so can't check country of mfg) it happened after just one season and on the VC, happened after a couple of years. In any case, for us the kettle is the better solution and requires absolutely zero maintenance. Just be sure to leave the kettle cover off so that it doesn't try to boil over! :gulp: That's why we use an All-Clad unit (somewhat pricey, but a "lifetime" solution) - it has a removable cover. You can also pick it up off the stove without gloves (handle stays cool) - a must for a top-loader like our Firelight.

Status
Not open for further replies.