Do Englander pellet stoves need Outside air kits installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I read your manual today doing a pellet stove installation inspection It advises of the fresh air feed requirement the people selling the stove told the owner it was not necessary.
and that windows will leak in the necessary combustion air

I did not sign off the inspection till I ran it by mike or Corie

BTW it is in the cellar of a finished off raised ranch basement area, but only a half foundation

here is what the manual says

Outside combustion air is mandatory for these units to work properly. Make this connection using a
1 7/8” I.D. metal pipe (steel, aluminum or copper) and coupler. Be sure to secure the pipe to the unit
with a clamp or aluminum tape. The outside end should be covered (screened) to prevent any
foreign matter from entering the system. Try to keep the number of bends in this pipe to a minimum.
Our Part Number PU-OAK (Outside Air Kit with flex pipe) can be used.

Granted, there maybe more important reasons to have the OAK installed, but when I installed mine there was wording in the manual that it would void the warantee if it were not installed. This by itsself made me put the extra hole in the house. I am sure Mike or Corie will give more of a performance related answer, but from a consumers standpoint, the warantee held a lot of weight. Just my .02

Elk,

It is mandatory that Outside Air be hooked up for our stoves. There are various reasons that we require it, but regardless of that, you cannot pass an installation that doesn't have the outside air hooked up.

I really can't understand why people don't do it? We include the kit with the stove!

If they'd rather not have our aluminum flex outside air pipe, they are welcome to use the Selkirk Direct Temp - Direct Vent pellet stove pipe. Either way though, it must be hooked up, particularly in a basement installation.

what do you do if you are putting the stove in the center of the house (not on an outside wall) and have a slab foundation?

I can see you saying run the air up in the wall then you are making more problems with long runs of intake air.

hearthtools said:
what do you do if you are putting the stove in the center of the house (not on an outside wall) and have a slab foundation?

I can see you saying run the air up in the wall then you are making more problems with long runs of intake air.

Use the Selkirk DirectTemp Direct vent pellet pipe?

The owner of the stove was monitoring this post Thanks for all in making my Job easier

elk,
corie is dead on the money , the unit cannot be installed without OAK. it is a requirement in our manual, not a suggestion.

elk, if you would please PM me if you know who the dealer was who told them it wasnt necessary so i can keep that from happening next time, thanks.

iS THIS oak MANDATORY ON THE PELLET STOVES ONLY? wHAT ABOUT THE 30 WOOD BURNER?

Hog why are you considering the NC30 it will totally over power thaat area Think the NC13

Hogwildz said:
iS THIS oak MANDATORY ON THE PELLET STOVES ONLY? wHAT ABOUT THE 30 WOOD BURNER?

pellet stoves only , unless the 30 or 13 is going to be installed in a mobile home, but recommended in tighter homes , and strongly recommended in new construction IMHO

Corie said:
hearthtools said:

Use the Selkirk DirectTemp Direct vent pellet pipe?

Thanks Corie
Looking at the catalog this will work but the T air and vent transition look big and ugly

Have not used that pipe and there is NO Distributor in California that stocks Metobestos pipe

Yeah it is a pretty slick system (and I should be careful about recommending it all the time because we're a Simpson Duravent company). Some of the transitions are definitely a little bulky, but they're usually hidden behind the stove, of course that depends on the stove design, location in the room, etc. It does make the outside air hookup generally easier and nicer looking though. I hope simpson isn't reading this thread.

why are you afraid they are going to give you crap like thay did when AES was trying to sell ICC pellet pipe?
They don't make this type of pipe so how can they be mad?
This is the only way I can see to connect YOUR stove if you are on the middle of a home.

without a crawlspace or basement to go through it probably is the only way to get outside air, i looked at it when it first came out and wondered aloud why nobody had come up with it sooner, especially with direct vent gas doing literally the same thing for years

Corie said:
Yeah it is a pretty slick system (and I should be careful about recommending it all the time because we're a Simpson Duravent company). Some of the transitions are definitely a little bulky, but they're usually hidden behind the stove, of course that depends on the stove design, location in the room, etc. It does make the outside air hookup generally easier and nicer looking though. I hope simpson isn't reading this thread.

Sounds pretty slick... maybe Simpson SHOULD read this, and take the hint. (Make some themselves)

We pretty much use all Simpson (or HHT) venting at our shop, but if we find something we like better from BDM (Chim-A-Lator) or Copperfield we get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.