Do I have a thermostat problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john_france

Feb 21, 2014
France
Had a Rivelli RV80 fitted a couple of days ago. Have set the thermostat for 18C (64F) thinking it would get a bit higher than that anyway. At the minute the "room temperature" measured by the stove through the external thermocouple is reading 25C (77F)......and the thing is still throwing on pellets and working hard! Tried turning down to a lower set point but doesn't seem to make much difference. The guy who fitted it is coming out next week to take a look but thought I'd see if I could get an opinion on here too. Anyone any ideas? Thanks

You could do a simple test with a digital multi-meter.
You could look at the t-stat output in terms of voltage, but a simpler quick way that will answer your immediate question is to do a continuity test. If your DMM has a diode test setting put one probe on one contact and the other probe on the opposite contact and if the thermostat is calling for heat your DMM will beep (this means you have continuity) and the t-stat is on. You can use the Ohms setting if the meter does not have a diode test function, continuity will equal 0 ohms or close to it.

You could simply remove one wire from the thermostat and the stove should go to low burn or off depending on which it was designed for. If it keeps burning at high you may have a short in your thermostat wiring.

You DID remove the jumper between the two thermostat connectors on the stove, right???????

Nice looking stove. What version is the firmware. I have a manual for 2008 firmware which I can send but not sure if it is appropriate for your model.

7.2.2 Operating proc edur es with external thermo stat

Keeping the ambient probe connected (AIR version) to pin 7-8, connect the external thermostat. Bringing the temperature

setting to the value “-EST” you totally exclude the internal probe (or probe located on the remote control for the BOX version)

reading and in this way the temperature setting only depends on the external thermostat.

Hope it helps...

Nice looking stove. What version is the firmware. I have a manual for 2008 firmware which I can send but not sure if it is appropriate for your model.

7.2.2 Operating proc edur es with external thermo stat

Keeping the ambient probe connected (AIR version) to pin 7-8, connect the external thermostat. Bringing the temperature

setting to the value “-EST” you totally exclude the internal probe (or probe located on the remote control for the BOX version)

reading and in this way the temperature setting only depends on the external thermostat.

Hope it helps...
Thank you Lake Girl, how very kind.
I have the correct manual.
Tempted to get the side off and take a closer look like others have suggested but my wife tells me to leave it and see what the technician says when he comes over next week!
Thanks also to all the other posters....will let you know.
John

For Air models, Connections 5 & 6 ambient probe, 7 & 8 for the external thermostat, 9 & 10 for smoke probe if you sneak a peek...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.