Do I have an internal Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby123

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
annapolis, md
Quick question, I understand that insulation for the chimney liner is highly recomended for an external chimney, but not as necesary for an internal chimney. My chimney is inside my unheated garage but it rarely gets below 40 degrees in there. Obviously insulating it is always better, but at this point if I can save a few bucks that would be great. I am planning on putting in a block off plate, and live in the relatively mild climate of Maryland.

Thanks,
Dan T

If you have a lower block off plate, you can always add pour in insulation (vermiculite or perlite) at a later time if you find you've got poor draw or too much creosote. If the current chimney is unlined or has broken terracotta liner, you'll need to use the insulating wrap on the liner to prevent excess heat from escaping into the house structure.

Thanks for the reply! I think the chimney is good. I am going to have it swept, and inspedcted shortly so we will see. I saw the option to pur in the insulation, but that seems awful permanent, and makes me wonder what you do if the liner ever goes bad.

Dan

Pour in vermiculite and perlite are granular and so removable.

Status
Not open for further replies.