Do I need a grate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyD

Oct 29, 2016
The Berkshires
Hi Folks,

I've got a monster of an Old Mill flat top double door wood stove. Was over at a buddy's house last night with a fancy new vermont castings, and they have a grate in their stove. Should there be a grate in my stove? Right now I just build the fire on the floor of the firebox, and carry on, though my coal bed often leaves something to be desired. Am I missing something? Is there some grate that should be there, or is it just the OM design?

Stove measures roughly 28"x25"

Thanks!

No, the new VC stove has a built-in grate because it has an ash pan to collect the ashes.

How does the coal leave something to be desired? Is it not burning down completely? If so that might be the wood is not fully seasoned. If so, open up the air more at the late stage of the burn cycle.

Thanks. There is no grate, and no ash pan. The coals get buried in ash, it's impossible to really rake the coals, they get buried in the ash.

Hi Folks,

I've got a monster of an Old Mill flat top double door wood stove. Was over at a buddy's house last night with a fancy new vermont castings, and they have a grate in their stove. Should there be a grate in my stove? Right now I just build the fire on the floor of the firebox, and carry on, though my coal bed often leaves something to be desired. Am I missing something? Is there some grate that should be there, or is it just the OM design?

Stove measures roughly 28"x25"

Thanks!
Try putting a couple of separated bricks. Make some fires on them, see if there is any benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.