Do i need an air restrictor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason H

Oct 9, 2020
Hudson, Quebec
Hi there,

First year with an insert and im hoping to heat the house soly with wood. So far so good.

I have a Regency 2700. It has both the secondary tubes and the catalyst. Recently it's been cruising at 1200 degrees even with the damper closed all the way. And looks like this. Would you say this is normal or should I install a restrictor on the air intake. Hard to see but the secondaries are fully lit and and cat is bright red. I just feel that I should have more control in lowering the temperature than that

Attachments

• 20201114_194923.jpg
    20201114_194923.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 163
Where are you measuring 1200F ? Is this a cat probe temp?

Have you talked to the dealer?

Last edited:
I would not be happy with that much flame on full low. But the epa probably is.

Hi there,

First year with an insert and im hoping to heat the house soly with wood. So far so good.

I have a Regency 2700. It has both the secondary tubes and the catalyst. Recently it's been cruising at 1200 degrees even with the damper closed all the way. And looks like this. Would you say this is normal or should I install a restrictor on the air intake. Hard to see but the secondaries are fully lit and and cat is bright red. I just feel that I should have more control in lowering the temperature than that
Does it have a restrictor? How tall is your chimney? What does your draft measure at?

1200º on the cat is a good temp. The cat is new so it will be more active. Because this is a hybrid it does a secondary preburn too. I would try packing the wood tighter in the middle. You want less air space between them. Also try turning down the air soon after the cat is in the active zone (over 600º) and the bypass has been closed. Don't snuff out the fire, but keep the flames lazy. Thicker splits also will burn slower.

1200º on the cat is a good temp. The cat is new so it will be more active. Because this is a hybrid it does a secondary preburn too. I would try packing the wood tighter in the middle. You want less air space between them. Also try turning down the air soon after the cat is in the active zone (over 600º) and the bypass has been closed. Don't snuff out the fire, but keep the flames lazy. Thicker splits also will burn slower.

Thanks, yea I've been doing that, but thought that I should be able to control the fire better after it has reached that high temp too. Makes me a little concerned that if the box got too hot, I wouldn't be able to lower the temp.

No it doesnt have one, but read that it is an option if needed. I'd say the chimney is just under 25 ft. Dont know what the draft measure is.
At 25' you probably need one