Do I need new dimmer switch for LED bulbs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGDADDY

Feeling the Heat
May 17, 2012
I recently purchased my first LED bulbs. Some I put in a chandalier type light. I have this light on a dimmer switch and it does work but I don't know if using current dimmer will impact the life of the LED bulbs.
Do I need to get new dimmer switches for these LED bulbs?
The dimmer switches I have are 17 years old. I have 7 dimmer switches in my house.

I've got the same question. We just swapped out the Edison bulbs in the kitchen for LEDs. The dimmer now goes from extra bright on the lowest setting to crazy bright on high. Previous Edison bulbs were 45 watts. These are "65 watt" equivalent but actually only pull 10 watts each.

I think the issue is usualy if they 'work' versus dimmer damaging bulb (or vice versa). Mine were flickery at some dimmed settings, got better with (too expensive) 'LED dimmers'.

If you're happy, you can leave em, I think.

I bought a dimmer that rated to work with LED and all other bulbs for $20 and replaced my old one. The old dimmer did work but since I rplaced it the LED lights are much brighter on the highest setting and dim down nicely on the lowest.
I am going to replace my other 6 dimmer switches before I put LED bulbs in. I hope these bulbs save me some money on my electric bill. I'm going to have $140 in switches and close to $400 in bulbs.

Do I need to get new dimmer switches for these LED bulbs?

Depends upon the bulbs. Some bulbs will work just fine with the old dimmers and some require LED specific dimmers. You may need to go on the manufacturers website to find out. I don't know if it actually lists it on the packages versus just saying dimmable.

Typically, the newer LED bulbs are more compatible with old style dimmers. It sounds like you are happy with how your dimmer is functioning, so I would just leave it. It should not damage your LED bulbs.

The dimmer now goes from extra bright on the lowest setting to crazy bright on high. Previous Edison bulbs were 45 watts. These are "65 watt" equivalent but actually only pull 10 watts each.

I would guess that the old bulbs were probably in the 300 lumen area and the new bulbs are over 600 lumens. Double the brightness. It sounds like your dimmer is not capable of dimming down to the level that you are looking for. I would try replacing it with a dimmer for LEDs.

Depends upon the bulbs. Some bulbs will work just fine with the old dimmers and some require LED specific dimmers. You may need to go on the manufacturers website to find out. I don't know if it actually lists it on the packages versus just saying dimmable.

Typically, the newer LED bulbs are more compatible with old style dimmers. It sounds like you are happy with how your dimmer is functioning, so I would just leave it. It should not damage your LED bulbs.

I would guess that the old bulbs were probably in the 300 lumen area and the new bulbs are over 600 lumens. Double the brightness. It sounds like your dimmer is not capable of dimming down to the level that you are looking for. I would try replacing it with a dimmer for LEDs.

Good advice. I bought an LED specific dimmer that turned out to be not compatible with the LED bulbs. So I swapped to a non-LED dimmer per the bulb mfr and now it works.

To the person who replaced 45W bulbs with 65W equivalents I think you should also just buy new 40w equivalent bulbs. You simply have too much light. I've found that LED's tend to be brighter than their equivalent wattage suggests. I replace 60w bulbs with 40w equivalents most of the time.

They do work better, but it also depends on the bulbs as others have said. I had some cheapo led's from costco that worked better on the LED specific dimmer, but still wasnt 100%. You get what you pay for

Simply if it works with LEDs it will be fine. I have 3 different style of dimmers in my house. Two of them power cree bulbs and the one a set of phillips. They are not specifically designed for LEDs but work just fine.

Cree has a recommended list on their site, but even they state that their bulbs may work with other dimmers.

Simply if it works with LEDs it will be fine. I have 3 different style of dimmers in my house. Two of them power cree bulbs and the one a set of phillips. They are not specifically designed for LEDs but work just fine.

Cree has a recommended list on their site, but even they state that their bulbs may work with other dimmers.

That is good to know I had replaced 3 dimmer switches with LED switch but the 4 bedrooms I did not replace and just put in the bulbs and they work fine.
I just wasn't sure if the bulbs could some how be damage if the switch wasn't changed. Sounds like that isn't a realistic concern, especially if a bulb company states their bulbs may work with other dimmers.
Thanks for everyones input.

The person who said that LED lights are brighter is correct. I replaced 60w with 60w led and definitely brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.