Do I need to replace wooden fireplace surround for wood burning stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mj29

Aug 13, 2022
Preston Area
Do I need to replace wooden fireplace surround for wood burning stove?

Hi, I have bought a wood burning stove, going to replace my old gas fire (picture). Its roughly 1.2m by 1.2m (height and length across), which would leave around 350mm at each side when my new stove is in place. Do I need to replace all combustable material or is there alternatives? Stove manufacturer says min 500mm each side? Looking at heat shields, so I need them and would this help?
Also looking to cap off gas pipe, whats min distance needed?

Looks like the wood will need to go. This sounds like a European fireplace. What country is the Preston Area in?

What stove make/model is going in? Have you had a certified chimney sweep inspect yet?

Do you have alcove installation instructions (clearances) in the manual?

Hi, its an Ecosys Idyll 5 wide stove, 5kW, I am in the UK. Its an external chimney and I am going to put a steel liner in. Just looking through the manual now... see pics attached... the website I bought from said 500mm distance to combustables, I can't find anything in manual that says that and pictures attached are in the manual?

Do I need to replace wooden fireplace surround for wood burning stove? Do I need to replace wooden fireplace surround for wood burning stove? Do I need to replace wooden fireplace surround for wood burning stove?

Ok.
That seems to be the clearance in front of the stove ? (2nd pic).

Note the hearth requirements (thickness and airgap...)