What kind of fireplace/firebox do I have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CHueske

Dec 12, 2023
Texas
Hello! So when we purchased our home 3 years ago this beautiful fireplace had a small gas fake firewood setup inside. We removed that as we wanted to burn real firewood. While removing it we noticed that the firebox is metal - there is also no damper - and the flue going up the chimney is also metal. On each side of fireplace there are vents but there are no blowers etc. I crawled inside one of the vents to take pictures of what it looks like inside. I am trying to figure out what type of insert “I guess that’s what it is” this is. The entire chimney out the roof and all is brick.. I also show in the pics all the pipes that run straight through the flue - not sure what purpose they serve. In one of the pictures I posted you can see a large pipe - there is one on each side that exit the brick to the exterior that have pipe caps - I’m assuming for outside air for combustion. We have never even opened them and wood fires burn fine but The firebox is huge and we really would like to get an actual insert that we could put inside of the existing setup. But I can’t seem to figure out what this setup is and if getting an insert to just be able to pop in there can even be done. Thanks for any help.

IMG_6177.png IMG_6176.jpeg IMG_3660.jpeg IMG_3665.jpeg IMG_3664.jpeg IMG_3661.jpeg

It looks like a heatform fireplace in which someone cut off the heat scavenger outlets. It looks like the intakes are still there, but no output grille above the fireplace. That's a bad idea. It's going to cause a lot of heat to build up in the chase and right behind the TV.

It looks like a heatform fireplace in which someone cut off the heat scavenger outlets. It looks like the intakes are still there, but no output grille above the fireplace. That's a bad idea. It's going to cause a lot of heat to build up in the chase and right behind the TV.
Are you saying what they did is a bad idea or installing an insert into it is a bad idea?

There is also (you can see at the top in one of the pictures) a huge pipe that runs acorns our living room ceiling into the attic. I’m assuming they done this to help heat the attic.

The current installation is improper but the large duct may explain the original intent. Installing an insert would definitely be an improvement and better to reduce heating the bricks behind the TV. TVs don't like high heat. An insert will need a 6" stainless liner that runs to the crown of the chimney chase.

The current installation is improper but the large duct may explain the original intent. Installing an insert would definitely be an improvement and better to reduce heating the bricks behind the TV. TVs don't like high heat. An insert will need a 6" stainless liner that runs to the crown of the chimney chase.
Thank you for that info! So assuming we would just have to cut away some of the metal that’s currently in there to accommodate a 6” liner? Especially some of those pipes that run through the inside of the flue. Sorry I know nothing about fireplaces - been reading these forums to learn what I can.

Yes, a tube may need to be cut out to allow the liner to pass. This will mean that it can not be used as a fireplace again without welding the cut tube(s) shut. There should be a permanent sign on the back wall of the fireplace stating this.

Yes, a tube may need to be cut out to allow the liner to pass.
Would those holes need to patched in some way after cutting out the tubes? Would I have to use a zero clearance insert or would any insert work?

In your opinion does this metal prefab box look to be original? I wasn’t sure if something like this could have been added after the house was built or would have been during construction (house was built in the 80s). I initially thought there was a mason firebox at some point and they changed it but I didn’t know if that was even possible. When you open those side vents you can see quite a bit of broken bricks on the ground (hence why I thought they had busted out a brick firebox).

A zero clearance fireplace would require a complete tearout. An insert can slip in there as long as it fits.

The cut tubes don't need to be patched unless the fireplace is to return to service as a fireplace. I have not seen an installation like this before, the flue looks like it was fabricated on site.

Contact a local wood stove shop to come out and quote for an insert installation. It's going to take trained eyes on site to make sure there are not complications that we can't see. If none, installing an insert should be fairly straight forward.

Reactions: Ashful
A zero clearance fireplace would require a complete tearout. An insert can slip in there as long as it fits.

The cut tubes don't need to be patched unless the fireplace is to return to service as a fireplace. I have not seen an installation like this before, the flue looks like it was fabricated on site.

Contact a local wood stove shop to come out and quote for an insert installation. It's going to take trained eyes on site to make sure there are not complications that we can't see. If none, installing an insert should be fairly straight forward.
So I may be right then that it was originally a full Mason fireplace and they converted it.

One complication (possible) is weight- do you generally have to do any type of construction to help support the weight of the insert?

Again thanks so much for all of the help and information!

I don't think so. It looks more purpose-built as a brick chase to house this metal fireplace.

The insert weight shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: CHueske