do it yourself outside air kit...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrely

Feeling the Heat
Our house is pretty air tight so I installed an outside air intake.

do it yourself outside air kit... do it yourself outside air kit... do it yourself outside air kit...

It allows the secondary burn manifold to draw air directly from our outside vented basement instead of from the inside of the house. The pipe doesn't get hot because cold air constantly flows through it. I still need to design a way to attach it to the stove and make a bezel for the floor. It was a challenge making a hole through ceramic tile and I was lucky the tile didn't crack.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Our house is pretty air tight so I installed an outside air intake.

View attachment 215114

View attachment 215115

View attachment 215116

It allows the secondary burn manifold to draw air directly from our outside vented basement instead of from the inside of the house. The pipe doesn't get hot because cold air constantly flows through it. I still need to design a way to attach it to the stove and make a bezel for the floor. It was a challenge making a hole through ceramic tile and I was lucky the tile didn't crack.

Greg
ABS is not approved for this application. The connection must be non-combustible.
Nice job on the hole cutting!

Reactions: jotulguy
ABS is not approved for this application. The connection must be non-combustible.
Nice job on the hole cutting!

I won't be losing any sleep over this, because ABS pipe can't burn unless it's heated to over 871 degrees F. Even after hours at 700 degrees, the lower back corner of the stove can't get past 170 degrees because it's the intake manifold for the secondary air which preheats the constant flow of cold air from the basement. I'm pleased with the results. The secondary jets are longer than before with the dedicated free flowing air supply independent of the house.

Greg

Again advocating unapproved modifications to your stove. I am not surprised

Reactions: jotulguy
I won't be losing any sleep over this, because ABS pipe can't burn unless it's heated to over 871 degrees F.
It's composition changes at a much lower temp. It is subject to pyrolysis. And regardless, this is not something that should be promoted. This could have been done safer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene
'For the majority of applications, ABS can be used between −20 and 80 °C (−4 and 176 °F) as its mechanical properties vary with temperature'.

Last edited:
It's composition changes at a much lower temp. It is subject to pyrolysis. And regardless, this is not something that should be promoted. This could have been done safer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene
'For the majority of applications, ABS can be used between −20 and 80 °C (−4 and 176 °F) as its mechanical properties vary with temperature'.

That only means ABS gets more flexible at higher tempratures while having no melting point. That's why you can dump boiling water down your drain and nothing happens.

There's no possibility of pyrolisis when the pipe can only get warm to the touch even right next to the stove because cold air from the basement is constantly flowing through it. It's perfectly safe.

I assume that people are adults who are capable of making their own decisions. I can understand why you assume they are not.

My bank by law had to put a sign on their door saying: "There is one chemical inside this building which has been determined by the State of California to cause cancer." One day just for fun I asked the teller which chemical that was. She didn't know, but we both got a laugh out of it.

Greg

That only means ABS gets more flexible at higher tempratures while having no melting point. That's why you can dump boiling water down your drain and nothing happens.

There's no possibility of pyrolisis when the pipe can only get warm to the touch even right next to the stove because cold air from the basement is constantly flowing through it. It's perfectly safe.

I assume that people are adults who are capable of making their own decisions. I can understand why you assume they are not.

My bank by law had to put a sign on their door saying: "There is one chemical inside this building which has been determined by the State of California to cause cancer." One day just for fun I asked the teller which chemical that was. She didn't know, but we both got a laugh out of it.

Greg
While I admire your pioneering spirit, regarding your assumptions, I think you are ignoring mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: bholler
There are a lot of things that are perfectly safe, when things are operating normally...its when things go sideways that you have to prepare for and guard against...
I would just swap out those elbows for something metallic...should be good to go after that...

Reactions: bholler

Greg
Yes people can make their own decisions when given the proper info. The problem arises when people go on the internet to find information and find people with no regard for safety giving innacurate information.

Up here things are either to code or not. You can argue safety all day long. As a sweep I avoid that word like the plague. And if not to code no insurer is going to touch it if full disclosure is given.

Status
Not open for further replies.