Do the adjustable pipes go whole way advertised?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MAD MARK

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
I'm planning out my install for a Englander 30 and it happens to come right to 68" from stove flue collar to ceiling box. I was wondering if the adjustable 44-68" actually go the whole way?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180110-210038.png
    Screenshot_20180110-210038.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 109
Male end down, make sure you're measuring to the furthest point. You have to go inside the collar on the top of the stove....and the ceiling box should have the male/crimped end facing down to slide the pipe over.

Maybe I misworded the question.

Does the advertised "68" inches actually cover 68" leaving extra for slipping into and over, or is that from pipe end to end?

Maybe I misworded the question.

Does the advertised "68" inches actually cover 68" leaving extra for slipping into and over, or is that from pipe end to end?

I understand the question but I'm suggesting that you measure twice to be sure and then even at that, if it's that close I would not risk it and use a second piece. That's just me. I don't know that specific product or how they mark their product but I would doubt that there would be extra for the connections themselves. If I had to guess I'd say 68 is the maximum, end to end. If you need another 2 inches for slipping inside the stove you'd be out of luck.

Thats gonna be tight. If you are looking at high end pipe with good warranty, like $200 retail, i would expect it to extend to 68 usable inches. Bargain basement stuff, not so much.

Can you get a 12" piece of double wall to plant on the stove collar and make up thw difference?

Yes i could just add an extra piece at the bottom, but I plan on moving, or should I say slightly pushing the stove into the corner for summer time. So, the less pipe I have to undo would be a plus.

an extra 12 inch or better yet 24 inch pipe would make it a lot safer. Just one extra pipe and only 2 or 3 extra screws. If that slip pipe is at its maximum distance its also at its most vulnerable length. Better safe then sorry I say.

I have the same length of pipe in my basement, when I get home I'll measure it later, also are you factoring in the stove collar adapter and ceiling support box adapter? that should knock a couple inches off of the total length of the slip pipe

I'm trying to factor that in but also at the same time when I build up for the 18" insurance company asks for I might an inch or two plus or minus.

I'm pretty good with calculating projects. I usually fill out a dimensions sheet and then check prices on things and see how much it's actually going to cost. Right now I'm at $444 plus tax without anything more. I know a 2' piece at $20 isn't going to break the bank.

Ventis Black single wall Telescoping pipe says 38" to 70", each pipe is 36" in length

Here is a shot of the roof I'll be going through. It's approximately 115" to bottom of truss. So I'll need the "Through the ceiling kit", 2 pieces of 6x36 triple wall then ~68" of single wall to go from flue collar to ceiling support box.
20180110_173248.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ventis Black single wall Telescoping pipe says 38" to 70", each pipe is 36" in length

That would work out good. I like the idea of heavier gauge, do you know if it matches up to the Duravent ceiling kit?

Unlike Class A pipe, I believe that Single wall pipe is universal and will connect to any single wall adapter.