Do they make pellets out of leaves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jafo

Dec 24, 2009
Northern NY
I did a search on the site for "leaves" but did not find an answer. I am just wondering if any company out there makes pellets out of leaves?

Jafo said:
I did a search on the site for "leaves" but did not find an answer. I am just wondering if any company out there makes pellets out of leaves?

Not sure, but I bet if there's any leaves on the trees coming into Athens, they go right in with everything else.

Just seems to me that there are so many leaves that fall every year (and rot for the next few), that it would be even more "green" to use this for pellet fuel. Of course, the notion that someone would come and clean all of the leaves out of the little patch of woods behind my house for free (or even for $$) is probably my real desire to hope such a thing exists.. :p

I am not aware of any commercial ventures but, any biomass material can be used.

Many folks that are runningn these small "personal pellet mills" are using leaves.

Big thing with most commercial ventures is the constant availability of raw materials.

Such things as leaves, straw and various other products that are seasonal just dont interest most manufactures.

Leaves
Grass
Straw
Waste Paper
Waste cardboard
And just about anything that will burn that can be compressed into a pellet can be used.

Again its the availability of raw materials.

There are some companies that offer grass pellets.

Snowy

That does make sense snowy.

I would think tho with the sheer volume of leaves, it would be much easier to get a years supply of raw materials than scrap wood, but maybe I am wrong. A quick rake of the average acre of forest here in the North East would get you tons of material and the next year, there would be more. Something like this would also reduce the amount of fuel in areas prone to forest fires.

Ahh well, just a thought.

Lousyweather said:
even better....poop pellets, anyone?

Let's not go there....jtakeman & schoondog have enough to think about with coffee pellets right now.... :lol:

Lousyweather said:
even better....poop pellets, anyone?

Sure, why not? Bet it would be hard to get someone to pelletize it though. I would start with cow poo! Basically just digested grass and grains.

I have heard about the leave pellets and had a contact that was going to make me some samples, But things fell through. ANy way it yields large amounts of ash so I have heard. Nothing like a good old clean burning wood pellet!

I see several truck loads of pallets(nice clean oak) at the landfill. There free for the taking. Just need to grind and extract the nails hammer mill and you get pellets. Probably as clean as the pro's. Local news paper has them free too. I see lots a wood burners scooping them up. This could be an option?

I did see some videos of folks making leaf pellets from a little crappy looking pellet maker from china. If you search on you tube you should be able to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.