1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do they make this? Wireless control for lights...

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Swedishchef, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey guys

I built a garage last spring. It is about 50 feet away from my house. I did not run a wire inside my house to allow me to turn the outside lights of the garage on/off. And now I regret it!

Does someone make a remote switch that can be turned on either by a remote or an App?

Thanks!

Andrew

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Member

Loc:
    Canastota NY
  3. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks a ton!
  4. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I use the X-10/ Leviton system on my outdoor floodlights, makes it easy to flip them on from either florr of the house. One thing to be careful is that on some of the modules are set up for lights and some for appliances, the one set up for lights have a built in dimmer but they also turn on and stay on after every power blip. The applicance modules dont have dimming and when there is a power blip they trun off and saty off until turned on.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    I have a cheap one I bought at Meijers on my drive way lights, they are out there I also use them on Halloween props.
  6. burnham

burnham Member

Loc:
    central massachusetts
    How do you turn those on? I would like to cotrol some X-10 switches with the home-link set-up in a car, I'm just not sure how I would program that. I'm pretty sure I need to buy something more than the X-10 switch, like a receiver or module?
  7. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I mostly use the wall mounted switches but there is a remote control for a car that can operate 4 circuits. There is a base unit with an antenna that plugs into an outlet. Its fairly old technology and I think they have added a a lot of functionality to it. I suspect someone has a app to out there for it.
  8. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I use the X10s, which work well except: the new electronic ballasts I installed in the kitchen lights apparently interfere with the signals. The outdoor lights sometimes turn themselves on, and I can't turn them off with the control box unless I first turn those fluorescents off. They must put some hash on the line that interferes. PITA!

Same thing with my upstairs computer/surge suppressor. The upstairs control box won't work if the 'puter is powered up.

I've used the X10 in several houses, and they've worked fine. Just not in this house.
  9. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    We were having trouble with electronic starters interfering with our digital TV on certain channels.
    There are different grades, residential and commercial. I found that, at least in the brand at HD, replacing my commercial starter with one designated "residential"l fixed our interference problems.
  10. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Thanks, semipro - my ballasts are indeed commercial duty. I'll keep this in mind.