Do we need to ban incandescent bulbs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you support the ban on incandescent bulbs?

• Yes

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

StoveInNH

Jan 25, 2023
NH

With incandescent bulb sales being banned next week, just wondering what the feeling is regarding banning bulbs?

Regardless of how green they are/aren't, whether or not you like cfl or led, do you support the ban on the sale of incandescent bulbs? Just a Yes or No. :)

I don't care in the least. I haven't bought one or even seen a normal incandessant buld for sale for a very long time

I don't care in the least. I haven't bought one or even seen a normal incandessant buld for sale for a very long time
Me either. It's why I'm wondering if folks thinks they need to be banned. Or might they just disappear naturally via demand.

Me either. It's why I'm wondering if folks thinks they need to be banned. Or might they just disappear naturally via demand.
I think at this point they are all but gone so making it official makes sense. But probably not nessecary

I tried giving away a box of incandescents but there were no takers. This is GE's explanation to consumers
Perhaps the question should be - Do you support taking strong steps to reduce the nation's carbon emissions?

Last edited:
Perhaps the question should be - Do you support taking strong steps to reduce the nation's carbon emissions?
That's a loaded question.

As bholler indicated, the problem is fixing itself naturally. So do we need to ban them? There might be niche use cases (lava lamps!). ;)

Oven light...
Yes, that was my thought. Light for the oven, fridge, dryer. Heat lamps which are used for many things.

And is this for just household use, or are we talking everything? Vehicle headlights?

I’m for it as long as an equal replacement is available. Equal as in fit, performance, and price. CFLs didn’t cut it, but I believe LEDs have mostly gotten us there.

But as also posted, I don’t think there needs to be a ban. As long the technology improves to where it’s a better all around option, people will just go that way.

Last edited:
Things like oven lights are not banned they are covered under the special use exemption

Reactions: woodgeek
Oven light bulbs are still for sale. Would that work in the lava lamp?

Note that this has been a long time coming. It's the last round of energy-saving light bulb regulations outlined by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Special service bulbs are and have been excepted.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The que
Oven light bulbs are still for sale. Would that work in the lava lamp?

Note that this has been a long time coming. It's the last round of energy-saving light bulb regulations outlined by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Special service bulbs are and have been excepted.
The question was do you support the government banning incandescent lightbulbs?

I support taking strong steps to reduce the nation's carbon emissions. Light bulbs are low-hanging fruit, but there are a lot of them. Sometimes takes govt. regs to move the needle. This is why coal burning in London was banned. In spite of it being the right thing to do, people continued to go the cheapest route even though it was killing them.

Do you support the government banning them?

But does the answer even matter if the question isn't relevant?

As an outsider it is absolutely mind boggling in the span of 50 years the US has went from a global leader to dead last on issues like this. The incandescent bulb was banned in almost every western country 1-2 decades ago.

I haven't been able to buy incandescent bulbs for 10 years now. I don't miss them, neither does anyone else up here.

But does the answer even matter if the question isn't relevant?

As an outsider it is absolutely mind boggling in the span of 50 years the US has went from a global leader to dead last on issues like this. The incandescent bulb was banned in almost every western country 1-2 decades ago.

I haven't been able to buy incandescent bulbs for 10 years now. I don't miss them, neither does anyone else up here.
The question is relevant to me, hence the ask.

I'll be the outlier and answer No

Reactions: StoveInNH
I see it as a public health necessity. Just like be green mentioned with coal burning in London.

Yes, that was my thought. Light for the oven, fridge, dryer. Heat lamps which are used for many things.

And is this for just household use, or are we talking everything? Vehicle headlights?

I’m for it as long as an equal replacement is available. Equal as in fit, performance, and price. CFLs didn’t cut it, but I believe LEDs have mostly gotten us there.

But as also posted, I don’t think there needs to be a ban. As long the technology improves to where it’s a better all around option, people will just go that way.

Why would you need incandescent for the fridge? LED work perfectly fine in the cold. The oven is the only place I still have incandescent. I have never had a dryer with a light in it, not do I see the need for one.

Just to keep us on topic, I'm just looking to understand if folks support a ban. Not whether we should use incandescent. :)

Why would you need incandescent for the fridge? LED work perfectly fine in the cold. The oven is the only place I still have incandescent. I have never had a dryer with a light in it, not do I see the need for one.
For a long time I never saw the fridge size bulbs in stores. It was a size issue. After a look today I see them. So good, next time I need one I’ll get that.

At both houses I’ve owned, the laundry room is just wide enough to get the dryer door open fully. So the overhead light in the room doesn’t help to see inside the dryer.

Let the free market decide. If government stayed out of the free market we’d be a lot further ahead.
There is a long history showing that the old saw is quite incorrect. The free market has introduced many things that harm people and the environment. Some with disastrous effects. Profit often comes before people.

There is a long history showing that the old saw is quite incorrect. The free market has introduced many things that harm people and the environment. Some with disastrous effects.
There is a long history showing that the government breaks things. But let's stay on topic. This is a yes or no poll. :)

Reactions: sloeffle
Status
Not open for further replies.