Do you empty out your hopper at the end of the burn season??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I run the hopper out of pellets before I do the full cleaning.

As long as the plug I use for a vent cap is snug, no bees move in nor do I get
any rust in the stove during the summer.

Reactions: Defiant
I run the hopper out of pellets before I do the full cleaning.

As long as the plug I use for a vent cap is snug, no bees move in nor do I get
any rust in the stove during the summer.
Thats what I like to hear. I am still burning.

DEFINITELY empty out the pellets. If you can put the stove in "test" mode, it'll empty the auger of pellets, too. If you can get to the flue pipe outside, cover it with a plastic bag or a rag (I've pulled birds nests & bees nest out). At the end of the season, I, too put a container of Damp Rid in the ashpan. You can also spray the entire inside of the stove with WD40. Helps keep the rust at bay.

I just did my cleaning a couple weeks ago. I scooped out as many pellets as I could from the hopper and then ran the test mode a few times so the auger would empty of pellets. I also bought a 2 pack of the damp rid containers. I opened up one package of the damp rid and split it up between the two tubs. One in the hopper and one in the ash pan. Then put the pipe cap on where the vent termination nozzle was. Good to go until the fall. I do have to vacuum out the fines box, clean the combustion and convection fan blades and figure out how to remove the ESP and give it a gentle wipedown. Was a little rushed when I did my cleaning so my main goal was to clean the inside, seal it up from the outside and get damp rid in it.

I just did my cleaning a couple weeks ago. I scooped out as many pellets as I could from the hopper and then ran the test mode a few times so the auger would empty of pellets. I also bought a 2 pack of the damp rid containers. I opened up one package of the damp rid and split it up between the two tubs. One in the hopper and one in the ash pan. Then put the pipe cap on where the vent termination nozzle was. Good to go until the fall. I do have to vacuum out the fines box, clean the combustion and convection fan blades and figure out how to remove the ESP and give it a gentle wipedown. Was a little rushed when I did my cleaning so my main goal was to clean the inside, seal it up from the outside and get damp rid in it.

The ESP probe screws into the flue pipe at the back of the stove. There are 2 wires (white, black, or red). A 1/4" nut holds it onto the pipe. I clean the probe with some 0000 steel wool (make sure the stove's unplugged - when you clean the probe, the friction sometimes turns the combustion motor on)

I emptied mine, vacuumed all the crud out, and coated it with spray graphite. I put a note in there to remind me to unplug the vent before starting it back up too!
Spray graphite, huh? Is that to keep the pellets from getting hung up on the hopper sides? Where do you get some of that?

Spray graphite, huh? Is that to keep the pellets from getting hung up on the hopper sides? Where do you get some of that?

Spray graphite is a good all around lubricate for pellet stoves. Helps the pellet slide down the hopper wall and also keeps the auger lubricated. During the season I will dump a spoon full of powered graphite to keep the auger from squeaking.

I also coat my exhaust fan blades in it, keeps the crud from sticking to it.

You can get both at most farm or auto stores.

picture.JPG

cfs-423B-Graphite-Powder-3kg-l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.