1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Do you grow a WINTER beard?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Danno77, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Yep, grow a new one every two weeks, just like in the summer. I hate shaving, but I don't like having a beard either.

Anyone use a straight razor? I am willing to try anything at this point. (half portagese)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    I use a straight razor to go from full beard to smooth, so about once a year, and it's pretty good for that purpose. It's too scary to use more than that. My wife bought it for me years ago, and my grandfather said, "is she trying to get rid of you?" I use regular gillettes (no mach 14s, or whatever), or an electric most of the year.
  3. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Do you have any trouble keeping it sharp?That is the only thing I am worried about.
  4. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    I'm just getting ready to grow one out. Do it every year. Keeps me warmer when i'm picking milk up at the farms. You milk 'em , I'll be along to pick it up.
    -

Lost most of the hair on top of my head, seems like it has fallen off and reattached itself in patches on my back. WTF?
  5. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shari
  6. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Ha ha ha! I know that feeling. The only place I can grow hair above my neck is on my chin and in my nose!
  7. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    I found a pair of old razor strops in the basement of a house I rented once. They do the trick. One has a raised pattern, and the other smooth. I think an old belt would work though. A good straight razor is easy to keep sharp. I don't use it much though, obviously. It's mostly ceremonial.
  8. rathmir

rathmir New Member

Loc:
    Dela-where??
    4 season beard here, ever since I got out of high school (damn Catholics...) and as for the summer heat issue previously discussed: I think that the beard keeps you cooler thanks to the wicking of sweat, which helps keep your face cool via evaporative cooling. It's like having a sexy ass swamp cooler on your face!

lol
  9. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    I have had a beard since 1972 and one full time since 1975, I keep it trimmed in the summer thenlet it grow for huntin and trim it a bit during winter so i am not mistaken for a hermit... I am one hansome man....
  10. sculptor

sculptor Member

Loc:
    central nc
    actually it's more like a winter goatee.
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I can't grow a beard . . . not allowed per work rules . . . even though I don't actually work on the line. However, I still am a volunteer so to be honest, a beard would be a problem with the air pack.
  12. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I'm nearly 40 and I'm still waiting for full puberty. All I can grow is a goatee. Still comes in all patchy on my cheeks so I stay with the goatee year 'ruond since '03. I shave weekly for that Maimi Vice look. Maybe when I'm 50, I'll be able to grow a real beard. I had a friend in high school who had a full beard at 15! I guess that Mediterranean blood helps.
  13. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    i have grown the beard in winters past, and summer, and, well, every season at one point or another. I'm blessed/cursed to be able to grow a full beard in what seems like minutes (in actuallity its a week) so I rotate between facial hair options. Right now I'm rockin the soul patch with mutton chops and growing the hair long to complete the John Lennon (circa 1969) look. The full beard was just fine for me until we got cats. Our orange cat thinks rubbing his face into the beard is the bestest. I think gobs of orange and white fur clumping on your face is not so cool. I never noticed any difference in the warm weather, but the beard is super cool in the cold, and its a great soup catcher/liquor sponge.
  14. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

I'm trying anyway-it's been one week today and the goatee is looking good but the area between my chin and ears is lacking. We'll see how it looks if I can hold out for another week-the itchiness gets to me sometimes.
  15. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I have had a full beard since 9-73 and it was red then, now its all white. I have kept it all these years to cover up the ugly. :)

Shipper
  16. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    I'm reading that as- You've had a beard since you were 9 in 1973. Wow! How cool is that to be able to grow a beard when you're 9!
  17. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I thought when I put in the 9-73 it was self explanatory? I was only 23 then but had been shaving since I was around 16 I guess. ;-)

Shipper
  18. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    my bad shipper, no insult intended. Still would be crazy IF you did have a beard when you were 9. I always miss the obvious stuff.
  19. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    Likewise here! Can't be an interior firefighter or use a SCBA safely.
  20. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    [​IMG] Told you i was one handsome man... ;-)
  21. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Fully furred most of the time cept in the spring when I start scratchin like a boar hog it comes off for a month.
    <-------- bout the same color as Paul in the pic.
  22. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    im just starting my winter beard now ,99% of the time im clean cut (im 31)but this season im going to give her a try (wife hates it so far)
    i figure if anything ill save some money because im sure the dems will likely soon tax our razors
  23. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    Yes, the dems. will find a way to tax even more, as they spend much more.

As long as we woodburners are not taxed!

We should instead receive beard growth (for energy savings) and
    low petroleum use (for woodburning) annual federal tax credits.
  24. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Of course, the D's only boost the taxes that the R's didn't raise FIRST.... The late Cal Warburton of the NH House, when he switched to the LP pointed out the significant difference between the D's and R's -

The D's say they need more money, raise taxes, and borrow to make up the difference when the taxes don't bring in enough.

The R's say they need more money, borrow it, and then raise taxes to pay back the loans...

Remember, for all they complain about smoking, and treat smokers as third class citizens, (they used to make blacks sit at the back of the bus, they won't let a smoker ON the bus...) Big gov't makes more than 10x as much money on a pack of cigarettes as big tobacco does... I doubt the situation today is all that much different on razor blades...

Gooserider
  25. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Firewood may soon be taxed if Tom Vilsack ( head douchebag at USDA) has his way. He wants to require all transported wood to be kiln dried. Last I checked kiln dried firewood is taxed.

Aaaaand the beard,,,, ya , it's gettin thick.