Do you leave the stove on when you go to work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither the fire department nor the insurance company's independent inspector came up with anything more than "accidental and unexplained arising from the woodstove". Both have said the stove was in good condition and that the install was correct. It clearly started in the wall that was behind the stove - there were no electrical outlets, or wiring in the area.

My guess - and that's all it is and I did not bring it up with any on the fire officials - is that somehow it got started where the thimble penetrated the exterior wall. Chimney was an exterior masonry one. I have no idea what the clearance was between the thimble and the siding. I can tell you that on the new chimney the siding is cut back to the outside edge of the chimney blocks.

Mason and contractor both told me that it was not necessary, etc. I've been down this road once and will take whatever precautions seem reasonable on the rebuild. Certainly won't cause a problem to have more clearance than required so long as it is well caulked on the exterior.

Sailor

Oops! Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. I'll watch it in future posts.

Fishboat,

Can I ask where your screen name comes from? Curious if it has anything to do with classic sailboats.......

Status
Not open for further replies.