Do you season wood until it's dry or until it stops drying?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck finding any wood below 8% moisture content. The lowest I've gotten was 12.7% and that was 3 plus year wood.

For those of y'all that have this "Too Dry Wood" billb3 and myself will take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. ==c

Trying to call my bluff, eh? :p
Here's about 35.5 of it, not counting the little pile of small ones at the right of the third pic and about a cord or two of pine/popple way to the left on the second pic below. There is also another stack of small ones not shown in this area. I started stacking here in Spring of '14. I only recently got a bunch of rubber roofing, so some of the earlier stuff is covered with tarps. It's not stacked in the best location, but we don't have any wide open areas, so it's all I could do. :-(

View attachment 163557 View attachment 163558 View attachment 163559

Here's 7.5 cord..stacked there 3-4 years: It was stacked way too tight, it was before I knew better.

View attachment 163560 View attachment 163561

Here's the rest, these are not stacked on pallets or covered with rubber roofing, as it was stacked 2-3 years ago and I didn't have rubber roofing back then and before I knew any better to stack off the ground.

View attachment 163567 View attachment 163568

In total I probably have a bit over 45 cord....maybe pushing 50, but I wanted to error on the pessimistic side and only count the hardwoods.
Awesome...if there ain't pictures, it ain't real....

Good luck finding any wood below 8% moisture content. The lowest I've gotten was 12.7% and that was 3 plus year wood.

I've been going through re-splitting the wood I bought in the summer to see what's going to reasonable to burn next year.

I found that pretty much every piece like the one in the picture was measuring under 20%. I think it's cherry or beech, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Out of curiosity I re split the same kind in my second year pile. This was cut split and piled in Spring 2014 until it was stacked and covered in October of last year. This summer it was left in the afternoon sun but covered only on rainy days. The piece I measured was 10%. Equilibrium point for me based on the article is around 12% so it's about as dry as I can make it. It's probably a faster drying species and not representative of the whole stack but it's comforting to see I can get good results from single row stacking and watching the weather forecast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.