do you think any of the wood stove brands are 'tighter' than another?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lazy Flame said:
Wet1 said:
I looked for used BKK's for some time. Occasionally one will pop up here and there, but it's pretty rare. The few I found over several months of looking were either older models or people that recently bought a house which had one installed and have no interest in it. Either way, they were never local (the closest was about 250 miles away). Once the tax credit was finalized, that was enough for me to end my search since I was able to buy new (after the credit) for $1400 to my door... Even if I found one used for less, would it be worth the "unknown" factor and the additional shipping/hassle? Granted, I got a great deal on mine, but the tax credit still makes this purchase much easier, even at higher sticker prices. I will tell you the performace alone is worth the coin...

That makes me feel better. We've ben concerned about dropping that much cash on something I have limited knowldege about. All I know is that we love wood stoves. I saw 2 oldies but they weren't cats which is a dealbreaker for me. Looking hard for a parlor king.

I've been interested in the credit. If I can expect to get a $1000 back I will just buy one outright. I haven't seen much on the success on the credit returns but the few notes I have seem to have gone just fine. I've got stung on "rebates" b4 so I was a little leery of it. I'll need all new pipe but I doubt that has anything to do w/the 30% tax crdit?

So far sticker prices are running $2500 to $2800 b4 tax. I am 95% certain I will drive to pick it up even if does involve my open bed trailer.

I appreciate the input as it helping solidify (and the wife especially who is doubtful of the BKK) our choice. This site helped us get away from what I believe would have been an inferior purchase.

What do you all think of a King vs a princess? I have a 2400sq foot home but half of it is chopped up floor plan. My currecnt hvac system I zoned (2 furnaces, one for each half the home. A king would be running on low but a princess would be run hotter. My biggest peeve is reloading stoves in the wee hrs of the day. I have to have at least a 12hr burn time or I won't be happy.

And another question would be can you clean these out w/the optional ash drawer while the unit is in?

Thanx for the educated opinions I hope this new stove performa as well as you hoped and I look forward to reading some updates!

The credit will be no problem, so that shouldn't be a concern. $2500 is a good price, go for it! I can absolutely promise you and your wife you will not be unhappy with the performance of the BK, there isn't another stove on the market that can come close to matching it. As long as the size and looks work for you, you'll be VERY happy.

As far as BKP vs BKK, it all basically boils down to size. The heat output is pretty close, don't worry about being blasted out with the King, it can be turned WAY down if need be. The king just adds a lot more firebox space for bigger loads and extended burn times. If you have the space and want the longer burn times, the BKK is probably the best choice. Either should work for you, but I personally would opt for the larger King given your sq ft, you'll have no issues at all getting 12+ hours out of the King. The down side is the 8" flue (and the stove) is more expensive. BTW, the flue can be included in the tax credit.

Regarding the ash pan, I'd suggest not getting it. These stoves can hold a cord worth of ashes before needing to be cleaned out, so you're looking at removing ashes only a few times each season. The ash draw isn't all the big and I honestly think it's more of a PITA to use than it's worth. All you have to do is rake the hot coals to the front and then shovel out the ashes and place them in a steel can. I think this is easier and less hassle than fooling around with finding and pulling the plug in the base, then working trying to get all the ashes down that hole and into the small ash pan. Save the money and don't get the optional ash pan, it looks better w/o it as well. You can also seal the ash hole with high temp silicone at the base to reduce any chance of an air leak at that location.

Like I said, rest assured you'll be more than satisfied with the performance and quality of the BK, regardless if it's the BKP or BKK.

OK, great. that seals it. This weekend I'll drive us the 3hrs to a dealer and check em out in person. I'll probably buy a BKK on the spot after hearing the credit is hassle free. I read u loud and clear on my other questions.

Thank you, thank you thank you for the detailed response. You and the other folks here have been MORE than helpful in getting me up to speed. Thanx for the understanding yall!!

I'll update any happenings and leave my input for the next guy, seems only fair. I've got more to learn but I feel confident in our choice to use wood and an electric free stove (no blowers) as a primary heat source, it just feels right.

Again we appreciate the informative posts.

I'll be back. Again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.