1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Does a round stainless steel liner require a rain cap?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by clesnick, Nov 19, 2013.

1. clesnick

clesnick New Member

Hi.

I am planning to install a 5" round stainless steel liner in my chimney for my wood stove.

I don't want to use a rain cap if I don't have to because of the way it would look on my house. Are rain caps necessary with a metal liner?

The clay liner has been open to the rain for decades and we haven't had any problem with water. I'm not sure how using a round metal liner will change that.

Thanks for your help!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    The masonry chimney usually has a sump (small pit filled with rubble) in the bottom of it into which the water falls.
    A stainless liner would be more sealed and therefore should have some sort of rain cap.

In terms of style, there is a lot you can do to make it look better than the normal liner rain caps. You can use a regular masonry chimney cap and terminate the ss below it. If you don't like the style of the standard chimney caps, I have some semi-custom stuff in the shop which may be able to help you. If you have interest let me know the size of the flue tile.

Examples enclosed.
    chim2.jpg chim1.jpg
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah. Not putting a cap on it would turn the liner into a five inch diameter rain gauge. Right into the stove or tee.
  4. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    Birds, bats, etc., too.