Does a round stainless steel liner require a rain cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clesnick

Sep 24, 2013
Hi.

I am planning to install a 5" round stainless steel liner in my chimney for my wood stove.

I don't want to use a rain cap if I don't have to because of the way it would look on my house. Are rain caps necessary with a metal liner?

The clay liner has been open to the rain for decades and we haven't had any problem with water. I'm not sure how using a round metal liner will change that.

Thanks for your help!

The masonry chimney usually has a sump (small pit filled with rubble) in the bottom of it into which the water falls.
A stainless liner would be more sealed and therefore should have some sort of rain cap.

In terms of style, there is a lot you can do to make it look better than the normal liner rain caps. You can use a regular masonry chimney cap and terminate the ss below it. If you don't like the style of the standard chimney caps, I have some semi-custom stuff in the shop which may be able to help you. If you have interest let me know the size of the flue tile.

Examples enclosed.
chim2.jpg chim1.jpg

Yeah. Not putting a cap on it would turn the liner into a five inch diameter rain gauge. Right into the stove or tee.

Birds, bats, etc., too.

Status
Not open for further replies.