Does an Encore 0028 have a spring that is not on the primary air control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SonOfEru

Jan 11, 2018
Sanbornton NH
I have just had my Defiant Encore 0028/2140 opened up to get at the damper linkage so I could lubricate it. When I put things back together I found a spring lying in the dead coals and ashes. It's about 2 inches long, 3/4" wide, and very stiff. I attach a photo here.

I have the manual for the stove, and it only shows only one spring, on the shaft of the primary air control. In the parts diagram it sure looks small and light weight.

So I would bet that this spring is not a stove part. But I also have to think - so where did it come from, then?

I burn nothing but firewood, nothing in the way of lumber. It looks like some kind of spring from a car, but I dont burn cars either. I have seen metal in firewood, almost always barbed wire.

But a spring???

I cant believe it's a stove part but I sure dont want to fire it back up with a part missing. And I did have the stove opened up in an area I have never been in before, so something could have fallen off or fallen out.

????

SonOfEru

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited: