Vermont Casting Encore Flexburn 2040 Thermostatic Air Control (TAC)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

QualityGig

Jan 26, 2021
Andover, MA, USA
I'm still trying to figure out how to check this device. The air control on the right does open and close the damper at the bottom/back of the stove, but I've felt the past few seasons like it (the TAC) is not modulating air flow like it should.

We inherited the Encore when we bought the place a few years ago so, not able to speak to past use and care. I'm not new to burning wood, and my folks had the same model at their place. Has anyone replaced the TAC? Basic instructions on how to do so?

Also, is there any check on the air control on the right that I should do? Or given that the damper opens and closes is that enough?

Generally have found I'm adjusting the air control on the right more than I'd expect.

Ok.. So the handle on the right side operes your prumary air.. the damper is actually in the stove and is controlled by the handle on the left. If you feel your having an issue. Id check to make sure your primary air flapper is working correctly. With a COLD STOVE ONLY remove the primary air flap cover. Open the air all the way.. this would be to the front of the stove and check the position of the flap. it should be open.. alot.. Then close the primary air.. handle pointing towards the back of the stove.. You should hear the primary air flap close and also visually check and see its closed all the way.

You actually dont specifically say exactly what problem your having.. that would probably help

Ok.. So the handle on the right side operes your prumary air.. the damper is actually in the stove and is controlled by the handle on the left. If you feel your having an issue. Id check to make sure your primary air flapper is working correctly. With a COLD STOVE ONLY remove the primary air flap cover. Open the air all the way.. this would be to the front of the stove and check the position of the flap. it should be open.. alot.. Then close the primary air.. handle pointing towards the back of the stove.. You should hear the primary air flap close and also visually check and see its closed all the way.

You actually dont specifically say exactly what problem your having.. that would probably help
Sorry, my imprecise terminology! By 'damper' I really meant the flap in the bottom back that regulates incoming airflow. My bad. My understanding, though there isn't much readily available resource material to confirm my understanding, is that the handle on the right (to your point) opens and closes the flap in the bottom back, i.e. feed or starve the fire (or somewhere in between) . . . but that there's a thermo-responsive piece (somewhere in the area of the flap??) that's also part of the air control system that modulates the flap. In short, you start a fire, get it burning nice, set the rightside handle to halfway or one-quarter and that -- at that point -- this other piece then modulates the flap based upon whether the temperature glides up or down. If the stove starts running away, this piece reduces airflow, and if the stove starts cooling, this piece increases airflow, obviously within reason, of course. In short, this piece helps the stove to settle into the burn you want, i.e. the burn you set when you set the rightside air control.

My experience/opinion is that I have to finetune the rightside air control more than I should and more than I remember adjusting my folks' same-model Encore.

I can confirm the flap opens and closes (with a 'clank') when adjusting the rightside air control. Looked in on the flap many times last season and just couldn't see any change in the flap position once the stove had obviously gotten hotter (or cooler).

Sorry, my imprecise terminology! By 'damper' I really meant the flap in the bottom back that regulates incoming airflow. My bad. My understanding, though there isn't much readily available resource material to confirm my understanding, is that the handle on the right (to your point) opens and closes the flap in the bottom back, i.e. feed or starve the fire (or somewhere in between) . . . but that there's a thermo-responsive piece (somewhere in the area of the flap??) that's also part of the air control system that modulates the flap. In short, you start a fire, get it burning nice, set the rightside handle to halfway or one-quarter and that -- at that point -- this other piece then modulates the flap based upon whether the temperature glides up or down. If the stove starts running away, this piece reduces airflow, and if the stove starts cooling, this piece increases airflow, obviously within reason, of course. In short, this piece helps the stove to settle into the burn you want, i.e. the burn you set when you set the rightside air control.

My experience/opinion is that I have to finetune the rightside air control more than I should and more than I remember adjusting my folks' same-model Encore.

I can confirm the flap opens and closes (with a 'clank') when adjusting the rightside air control. Looked in on the flap many times last season and just couldn't see any change in the flap position once the stove had obviously gotten hotter (or cooler).

So the thermostat is located .. not in the back of the stove .. but behind the right hand side air manifold. From my experience.. Im not the stove manufacturer..

The bimetal thermostat in my stove makes verry small adjustments. Its bimetal so if your STT is say 700 it doesn't know to cut the air severely back. The opening in the flapper in the back isn't really big, so adjustments are really small..

My flapper opening with a cold stove all the way open my be roughly 1/2inch so adjustments are small maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of this. I know that It does adjust itself because with the stove is warm and I close the air all the way down, I can hear the flapper click closed before the primary air handle is all the way back in the closed position.

Are you actually having a problem with your stove or just wanting more information on how it runs