Flue cleaning. From stove up. Vermont Castings Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@Woodsplitter67 and I both clean from the top down, not from the bottom up. I use a brush on fiberglass pole, pretty simple remove the cap and run the brush through the chimney/stove pipe. I made a pan out of aluminum that sits above the cat area so it catches everything.

So I just cleaned mine today. Bottom up cause I'm not going on my rood. Was pretty easy. A wiser and more experienced person suggested using an aluminum foil tray to catch the creosote under where the cat goes which was a great call. Then I taped a plastic bag over the front of the stove so ash didn't end up all over my living room.

To start I pushed the brush head in the damper housing. And twisted it by hand as I added more rods to get it all the way to the cap. Then I attached the drill and cleaned it moving down one rod at a time. Took me about 45 min total.

Reactions: Hbob
Do you have any photos of your cleaning method for the Encore?
Then I just put the sooteater through the damper. It's a tight fit, just twist it as you push up and it'll go. Then started adding rods.

20240125_163658.jpg

Reactions: Hbob
Thank you to both of you for your advice. I was just wondering if it was ok to leave stove connected, remove cat, with all the debris coming down and there would be a clear path to remove it all. I will do top down through the damper and find a tray to catch as much as I can. All my previous cleanings where done lifting the pipe and bagging it. This sounds much easier.

Not sure on your stoves but on mine there are chambers on either side alongside of the cat chamber. If you don't block them the soot will fall in there and block flow. You can snake a hose in there and vacum them out. it looks like your cats come out through the stove, mine comes out through the back.

Not sure on your stoves but on mine there are chambers on either side alongside of the cat chamber. If you don't block them the soot will fall in there and block flow. You can snake a hose in there and vacum them out. it looks like your cats come out through the stove, mine comes out through the back.
I was able to vacuum this area out with relative ease. The tray I put in caught most of it, got the rest no problem

This is what I use for cleaning metal chimney pipe. A little unorthodox but it works. I use an old pair of jeans, cut one of the legs off and fill it with golf balls. Not quite 6" in diameter. Take off the chimney cap and drop it down and pull it up a few times. Non-abrasive and leaves the inside nice and clean. Knots are tied in the string so I know how much to drop down in the pipe. I also wrap the stove and stove pipe with an old bed sheet to keep the dust down.

Chimney Cleaner.jpg