1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

does anybody know about this one

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by fbelec, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

And I got sanctioned on Ebay trying to prevent such stoves from be installed in occupied spaces
  3. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    [sarcasm]whatt??? That's not safe??[/sarcasm]
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    When I lived in WV, these were quite popular and sold at every hardware store - they still are sold at many such places. The stoves really crank out the heat quickly, as you can imagine with the thin sheet body. Probably tens of thousands of them in use here and there.

We installed one in the large bread van that we called home...of course, the outside wall was the trucks metal, so no combustibles! Ran the pipe right up through the roof.

Kept us fairly warm in the WV winter.

I'd probably take this in a shop rather than that cracked scandia.....these blued steel units lasted for quite a few years.
  5. RedSleds

RedSleds New Member

Loc:
    PDX
    You'll notice the hot and heavy bidding for this item......0 bids, but then again, there's six days & change left before it closes. For a shop with a concrete floor and no combustables it would be OK as long as it didn't get over fired. I've seen a few of them in operation before, maybe 20 years ago. Definitely wouldn't want to install that in a house though.
  6. PaulGuy

PaulGuy New Member

I lived in a cabin one winter with no heat or plumbing (1985-ish). Kept the place toasty with a stove made from a 30 gallon drum. Somewhere someone use to sell kits to convert drums into stoves. Sucker worked great for one season! Don't know how safe it was but I survived. Dumb luck I suppose.
  7. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Northern Tool still does. 32 bucks.
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I used one for years. Really clean burning since it burned hot from about two seconds after the kindling lit off.

Had a barrel stove too but later turned it into a smoker.
  9. PaulGuy

PaulGuy New Member

Yeah, they weren't exactly air-tight.
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Had a similar stove (Ashley?) long ago, back in the 70's. This was in northwest CT. It was my first stove and did the job, but took a judicious eye to make sure it didn't run away from you. There wasn't too much between you and the blaze inside. However, the stove was a close friend when the temps dropped below 20 in that uniinsulated cabin. It could really cook.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.