Does Anybody Make Cast Iron Pellet Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terryjd98

Jul 1, 2008
Ontario Canada
A friend who has a wood pellet stove told me to make sure I bought a cast Iron stove not a steel stove as they will warp. Well from what I have been reading on the different manufactures sites it seems like all the stoves are made from steel, Or am I reading wrong? So are there any Cast Iron Pellet Stoves out there? Does it really make any difference if cast or steel stove? Sorry for all the questions but still reading and trying to learn all I can before my bank account gets drained.
Terry

As far as I know, a lot of manufacturers still make classic cast iron pellet stoves, although you'll find that there is some steel used in their construction. My new stove, a Quadra-Fire Castile is a combination of cast iron and steel, but most of the outside is cast, the burnpot is cast, the firebox surround is mostly cast, etc.

You have to keep in mind that there is a big difference between a wood stove and a pellet stove. Pellet stoves generally do not radiate heat like a wood stove. Pellet stoves are designed to blow heated air out through convection tubes into the room. QF also makes a Sante-Fe model which is very similar to my Castile, but only it is made mostly of steel. You'll notice a few members have avatars with pictures of their stoves running and their pet cat laying on top of it.

Also, I've not heard or read of anyones metal stoves warping.

Steve

The Harman Accentra is cast iron. Check them out, if you can, and then you will see and feel the difference.

Moe

It`s mainly about looks. Cast is usually nicer looking.
I`ve had both cast iron and steel wood stoves and would not go with cast again but for the nicer looks of the castings.
A good quality built steel stove is much more durable and forgiving . A good steel stove doesn`t ever crack or break off from a hard hit while moving it , occasional misfiring , overheating, or does it ever need to have the joints periodically re- cemented and they are almost always considerably cheaper to purchase. Both mediums heat transfer rate is nearly the same .
Obviously with pellet stoves very lttle cast iron is actually necessary .
John

quad, harman ,enviro, st croix, lopi

is cast more for looks in a pellet stove??

Having had one and been all through it I don't see the need for cast in a pellet stove, nothing at all but looks. Seriously they are more electric dryer than wood stove really. The outside gets just warm enough to be toasty most of the time except right where the heat exits. Everything else is just moderately hot with the outer casing being only luke warm. My cat sits on ours all the time. Cast, for any real value beyond looks just doesn't in my view factor into anything concerning how well it works. In the real world if you need something welded steel is a whole lot simpler too, just ask the guy here who has a bulldozer made of cast iron. Just not the grandest stuff in a lot of ways except engine blocks and wood stoves. If it turns you on and gives you that special feeling then do it but I wouldn't let it make or break a deal on a pellet stove. Now if it was a bulldozer on the other hand, how does glass jaw sound?.

Status
Not open for further replies.