Does anyone recognize this as a chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkhat02

Jan 22, 2009
alabama
See pic. This is taken from my basement and extends through the roof. It seems to have some soot buildup around it but I am scared as hell to try to use it. I am looking to install a wood heater in the basement. Can't figure out what type of material it is constructed of.

Attachments

• 3cfd931f858e.jpeg
    3cfd931f858e.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 371
Its hard to judge size based on the photo. If there's a 220 outlet at the end of that conduit it could have been used as a clothes dryer vent.

No way. It's got nothing to do with an approved installation for use with a woodburning appliance. Don't even think about it. Rick

Don't know the dimensions of it, but doesn't appear to have clearance for wood or other solid fuel exhaust.

I'd definitely have that checked out by someone who knows before I hooked anything to it.

Its a gateway to wood burners hell!!! Don't do it!!! :)

Wouldn't even hook a dryer to it, either. Darned things are always catching on fire, and lint and stuff will accumulate in the ductwork all the way to the roof. No need to explain the results of a dryer fire in that rigging, I hope.

jkhat02 said:
I think it must have been a dryer vent. Thanks for the input.

From the photo, it sort of looks like an asbestos cement (transite) pipe. Might be an old stack vent from a abandoned sewer system. Note that the asbestos is somewhat encapsulated but it you do remove it, there are special precautions you should follow.

Off topic but - It might be useful for radon mitigation as most of the cures for radon require a dedicated vent pipe to the roof. A lot of older homes are starting to have radon issues as they are tightened up.

Status
Not open for further replies.