1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Does anyone use one of these Strainers to keep the Auger Jamming fines Out?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bollyRZ500

bollyRZ500 Member

Loc:
    Chalk River, Ontario
    I had to strain my first bag by hand, not much fun LOL!!

whatever ya do don't use a small stariner or else it'll take you an hour for a bag.... I used a similar sized one as the stainless one held up by 2 pieces of 2x4 stradled on a garbage can to pour, then hand siftefor about 20ish minutes... I can see a vacuum rig in the very near future LOL!! ==c
  3. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    My auger doesn't jam....just sayin' ;lol
    UMainah likes this.
  4. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    Before I built my system for the shop vac i used a strainer like shown. Worked but took while.
  5. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Whats a auger jam?, get a quality stove and you wont have any issues, Whitfield the first and still the best!
    John Cusano likes this.
  6. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I load mine with a feed scoop from TSC. As I put the pellets in the hopper, I spread them out and eyeball them. I've found some interesting things, but have yet to find any keys, bolts, or toys that would jam the auger. It works lots better for me than trying to pick up a full bag and dumping in the hopper at the back of the stove. Less dust, too.
  7. imacman

imacman Guest

Have never had an auger jam either......not on my Astoria or my Englander. I used to use the vacuum pellet cleaner I made, but in the past year have just been dumping them straight into the hopper (my bad back doesn't need to lift the pellets twice!).

Hope I didn't just jinx myself! <>
  8. bill3rail

bill3rail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    LI, NY
    I built the Pellet Vacuum system shortly after installing the stove.
    It reduces the dust going into the stove and in the house so the wife is happy.

Bill
    [​IMG]
  9. Leave the strainers to the pasta makers. Make yourself a neat little Pellet Vac contraption.

Attached Files:

10. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    Just wondering if you have patented this yet or not? Could you share how this works and how to build it? Seriously love the design would love to see do something like this.
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Way to much work with a strainer...

Make a vacuum. Easy peasy!

I sent a pretty detailed PM to The Village Idiot. He may still have it? I might have it?? Let me check...
    (Edit- It wasn't a PM. It had to be in a thread here or maybe an email? Gotta search).

Finessifter.jpg
    The Village Idiot likes this.
  12. Doing a search here at The Pellet Mill pertaining to Pellet Cleaners, Pellet Sifters, and/or Pellet Vacs will help. Don't think anyone has a "Patent Pending" on any of their Pellet Vac Contraptions, but gleaning info from the threads here will definitely get you on your way to saving those spaghetti strainers for the kitchen and getting your pellets cleaned-up in a quicker, more-efficient manner.

Here you go:

Random search result:
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/i-made-my-own-pellet-vac-for-less-than-20-00-video.21107/

Here's what DexterDay was referring to; the thread discussing his setup with detailed pics:
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-does-your-sifter-look-like.83548/#post-1199461

Mine:
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hi-folks-me-again-as-i-promised-earlier-here-are-some-pics-of-my-setup.93047/page-2#post-1237290

Be sure to click-through ALL of the pages of each of those threads for maximum knowledge.

Get 'er done.
    DexterDay likes this.
  13. imacman

imacman Guest

14. Here's what the Pellet Vac looks like near the stash, and also a pic of what the bottom of my Craftsman shop vac looks like after cleaning approximately 14-15 bags of Canawick pellets:

Attached Files:

DexterDay likes this.
  15. Danny Cathcart

Danny Cathcart Member

Loc:
    Michigan

Led Zep eh? *grinz* Ah the memories...
  16. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    Thanks Guys greatly appreciated!!! I have bookmarked this. I have an extra shop vac so that step is done. Again much appreciated
  17. bill3rail

bill3rail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    LI, NY
    Lowes, on Turkey Weekend had a Shop Vac on sale for $39.00, so I bought two of them.
    Now I have three shop vacs.

One will be permanently set up for the pellet vacuum contraption.

One in the basement for emergency flooding or spills and the third will be a spare.

Bill