Does colder weather make splitting easier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I've heard it's a myth - but today it may have made it to 20º, a few weeks ago was splitting when it was in the teens and it did seem easier. Maybe it was the wood I was splitting - very straight grain. It been sitting for about 7 months. Even a piece that I thought would be a pain being that it had another section/branch from it was not bad. Overall today's splitting was very easy.

wood Feb5-22.jpg

My favorite weather to split.

Reactions: Wood Hunter
If the wood is frozen it splits much easier. Had some mulberry that was giving me heck last week, we had some 0 deg. lows this past week and the rounds cut from the same tree split without to much trouble.

Thanks for confirming, makes sense. These rounds certainly weren't large, a bit over a foot in diameter, but sometimes just one swing with the Fiskars 27 and they split right in half. It wasn't always that easy.

I’ve had some nasty huge yard grown elm that wouldn’t split with hydraulics until frozen solid . I’m so glad that stuff is all burnt up now .
On the other hand I have a bunch of shagbark hickory that was green and split with ease this summer . Worked on the pile some more a few weeks ago and nowhere near as easy . Go figure !

I like to split after the wood has had eight or ten weeks to get cold. So about now. But I like to do it on an afternoon when the temperature is up to 40.

It was sub zero (according to my vehicle's thermometer) earlier in the week on the way to work.. That temperature is rare in these parts. I respect those that deal with those temperatures routinely,

Don't worry.....a woodcutter is never cold.....climbing in to our cold cars seems much worse and makes big men holler in agony..... 😀
"Holy #@%! It cold" is my go to descriptive as my azz starts going numb from the cold car seat.. which produces the other common words of.....I"'m freezing my ass off" 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: D8Chumley
Yea heat and bugs are much worse IMO! I got used to cloth heated car seats when I had Subarus, don't have one now so I have those $20 or so heated car seat pads. They do help. But like you said, and the saying goes - something like owning a wood stove heats you in more ways than one, meaning the work involved.

Cool weather makes all the wood processing we do better. But I say yes, wood splits better after it's frozen.

I enjoy splitting in the cold. I cant stand splitting when its warm. I mostly split from January to march.. the latest in may. This morning when I was out there it was 16 degrees and in the shade. I got the ear buds in and Spotify.. and 90s music. Here is the pile im working on

20220206_101419.jpg

Nice! That's a huge amount you've got already. I can't bring myself to split wood in the summer, but probably should. A good way to spend a winter weekend afternoon.

I drop, buck and split on the snow and usually haver chaps on. In addition to being cut resistant, they are real good padding from ricochets.

Those sound like a good idea. We all know wood can go flying unpredictably.

I'm still chuckling about "90's music." (Oxymoron?) :)
Any one of the 4 decades prior for my wife and I. If we're hand splitting, the truck doors are wide open and Willie's Roadhouse is blasting from Sirius.

Reactions: jaoneill