does EKO controller need pure sine wave ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherguy

Aug 18, 2008
central me
I'm looking at a Tripp lite aps750 inverter charger and deep cycle battery to use with my eko boiler controller. This is affordable but the unit puts out a
modified sine wave when it switches to battery mode. Anybody have any experience with tripp lite products. To go to pure sine wave inverter charger is not
in my budget. Any Ideas, Thanks

leatherguy said:
I'm looking at a Tripp lite aps750 inverter charger and deep cycle battery to use with my eko boiler controller. This is affordable but the unit puts out a
modified sine wave when it switches to battery mode. Anybody have any experience with tripp lite products. To go to pure sine wave inverter charger is not
in my budget. Any Ideas, Thanks

The controller will do fine, but the fan will run about half speed. I just shut off the fan and let it go out. For me, the backup is to keep the circ running to avoid meltdown.

I have a xantrex powersource 400 modified sine for my boiler.Like Nofossil said mainly to keep the pump running.The fan does run a little slower on it but if I have the fan speed turned down(newer controller) to70 or 80% it almost comes to a complete stop(the fan).That might not be good for the fan motor ,but it might actually help with a power outage,overheat situation.But the pump seems ok on it.

Do you shut down the fan manually, or do you have a relay. Because both fan and boiler circulator are controlled by controller. Also will it hurt the fan motor to be on while struggling with the modified sine wave conditions, when we loose power it is usually for 2-3 hours or less than a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.