Does flue color affect heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vwerner@hotmail. om

May 23, 2015
Cape Town
I currently have a shiny SS stove pipe. Have heard some claim that painting it black will improve its ability to radiate heat. Is this true, and if so, does it make a big difference ?

Also how on earth would the black paint make a difference?

Black absorbs radiant heat and is a good emitter as well. But normally keeping the heat in the stove pipe instead of radiating it is a good thing with a modern, efficient secondary burn stove because the flue gases are cooler. Keeping the flue gases above 250F at chimney exit will prevent creosote condensation and improve draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_law_of_thermal_radiation

Some people confuse "black body radiation" tables with ideal heat transfer conditions.

Heat with the stove, not the pipe. That being said, I doubt painting it black would make a nickels worth of difference in heat. Do what you would like for ascetics.

I think the heat difference won't even be noticeable . But I agree with begreen. Usually you want the stove pipe to be as hot as possible so I wouldn't suck heat from it unless it was for looks only "aesthetics "

Reactions: bholler
I think the heat difference won't even be noticeable . But I agree with begreen. Usually you want the stove pipe to be as hot as possible so I wouldn't suck heat from it unless it was for looks only "aesthetics "
Uh, yell. Aesthetics! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.