1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Does Harman offer the only bottom feeding pellet stove?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by nanama72, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanama72

nanama72 Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    We are trying to decide between a pellet and wood insert to heat our home. Our local Harman dealer told us the Accentra would not provide enough heat and we're looking for an insert with at least 60.000 BTU. However, we really like the bottom feeding feature of the Harman. Are there any other pellet inserts currently on the market which do bottom feeding?

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bassdogs wife

Bassdogs wife New Member

Loc:
    central ma
    Maybe take a look at the larger Harmon models. P61, P61A, P68 should be plenty if you are looking at 60K btu.

Try Squier Lumber in Monson, cheapest prices I have found.
  3. BignBeefy

BignBeefy Member

Loc:
    Sandown,NH
    I have a P68 and liked the insert idea too but found the standalone works better and the fireplace is still functional :)
  4. richg

richg Minister of Fire

I beleive that Englander makes bottom feeding stoves, but don't know much about them. My P61A has had some minor issues over the years, but I would definately buy another one if I was in the market for a stove. I owned a Quad 1200 before teh P61A, and hated it like the plague.
  5. nanama72

nanama72 Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    I tried to look through one of the Englander manuals but it didn't say if it was top or bottom feeding. Does anyone else know?

Thanks
  6. The Patriot

The Patriot New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern Mass
    Based on what I see in the manuals, the Englanders look like top feeders to me. Perhaps someone who uses one or Mike from Englander can chime in.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The Englanders are bottom feed. They have two augers. The top one drops the pellets down to the bottom one which then feeds the pellets directly into the back of the burn pot like the Accentra.

The top auger runs intermittently based on desired burn rate and the bottom one runs at a constant speed.
  8. Dougsey

Dougsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Epping, NH
    If you ask me, I'd say the Englander is something in between. The pellets don't fall from a tube above and they don't push from under the fire like a Harman does.

The pellets come out about level with the fire. My old Englander would never push the ash out of the burn pot.

I guess you could call the Englander a bottom feed and the Harman an under feed. But having had both, there's a big difference, IMO.

I think the Harman design is patented.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.