Does Long Time Dead Wood Dry Faster?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
Scavanging through our woods & finding wood that has probably
been dead & down for quite a few years (oak probably).
Surprisingly not in too bad of shape.
Will this wood perhaps dry quicker because it's been dead for a long time
& down for a long time??

I think it does seem to dry faster. Maybe because it is drier to start with, or maybe because the fact it is dead means the cells are breaking down and allowing water out more easily (or something like that).

It's got a bit of a head start, don't ya think ?

Not sure, but I think standing dead with the bark fallen off may be the best bet. Water drains off better, the wood isn't in contact with the ground, and maybe more wind on a standing tree dries it faster? I've recently cut some standing Slippery (Red) Elm that was down to 16% or less moisture content. :coolsmile:

Woody Stover said:
Not sure, but I think standing dead with the bark fallen off may be the best bet. Water drains off better, the wood isn't in contact with the ground, and maybe more wind on a standing tree dries it faster? I've recently cut some standing Slippery (Red) Elm that was down to 16% or less moisture content. :coolsmile:

Elm is amazing in that sense - I've seen Elm "stand dead" for 5-10+ yrs, without falling over.

If it's debarked, dead, and standing up off the ground with all sides exposed and plenty of air movement....I don't see why it wouldn't dry a heckuva lot faster :)

I cut dead Oak all the time and it will dry to 20% or so in one long summer but has a fair amount of moisture when it is first cut. Some times you run into stuff that is dryer but most of the time it takes at least a summer to get it ready to burn.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
& down for a long time??

Last winter I cut some dead stuff (down & standing) some of the dead standing trees I cut had a moisture content of 23 - 27 after I split it. Dropped off about two small loads to my neighbor, he said it burned great.

He brought it inside then let it dry for a week before burning, none of the trees had bark on them.

zap

Wood Duck said:
I think it does seem to dry faster. Maybe because it is drier to start with, or maybe because the fact it is dead means the cells are breaking down and allowing water out more easily (or something like that).

I think you're on to something here.
Perhaps on the "really dead" stuff, the
cells are more "porous" - moisture in & out
faster than "green" or "freshly dead".

Just a thought.......

Rob From Wisconsin said:
& down for a long time??
In my experience with dead oak: Yes and no. Almost always the limbs/upper portion of the tree are quite dry. But many times the trunks are full of water yet, sometimes the water even bubbles out of them when cut.

quads said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
& down for a long time??
In my experience with dead oak: Yes and no. Almost always the limbs/upper portion of the tree are quite dry. But many times the trunks are full of water yet, sometimes the water even bubbles out of them when cut.

I've had the same experience. Usually you can judge pretty accurately by the amount of bark still left on the tree. No bark at all and it will most likely be fairly dry all the way through. Some bark, still wet at the bottom. Full bark but dead, wet most of the way through.

I cut a lot of dead oak with no bark last September and October that burned great in the stove throughout the winter. I've got a bunch more ready for this year and have a bunch more to go out and cut for this year.

Dead wood that is down might be good but if it is down and touching the ground it will go punky rather quickly. If it is off the ground then it will last for several years. One exception is white ash. That stuff can be down for many years and even touching the ground and it is still good wood without punk.

Sometimes yes,sometimes no.I've been cutting since April.Took a break in Jan-March when the snow was around 20" deep & too hard to get around in.But except a few scattered lapses because of weather or regular work schedule have been dropping,cutting,hauling,splitting & stacking 1 day a week since Sept. 2010.Depending on how things go,the amount varies especially when I have to locate the stuff first.If its already on the ground with no brush,that goes much faster obviously.With luck I can c/s/s 1 p/u load in 4-5 hrs.

I have always found dead drys/seasons faster. Some better or worse than others, but faster. I cut some white oak last winter, on the ground, covered with snow. I was just cutting it to get it out of the way. However, the first cut really surprised me. It had a damp, punky one inch layer on the outside, but the rest of it inside was solid and dry. I brought it home burned it after drying out for a week in the shed.

Sounds like I'm in the same boat your in Rob. I have a ton of Oak and Hickory that should season longer than I was hoping for. Unlike a lot of guys on here, I don't have the room to build up years worth of inventory. This year I got caught, first time in a long time. I'm over in the woods, like you, cutting what I can that has been dead for a long time and I'm also going for the dead White Ash that has been dead for 3-4 years now. Since it's been raining here so much it really doesn't look that promising, but I will do what I have to. Seems no matter what, I always figure something out. As I get older now, I'm learning to depend more on my ability to come up with a solution for whatever comes along and not worry about it anymore. In fact, it's almost fun to see what I come up with. The joy of living. %-P So far this year I have 7 stacks, 8' long and 6' high and I cut 18" in length. I haven't figured out what that is in cords yet. I'm figuring two or three more stacks and I'll be set for this winter. I already have more than enough for next winter. I'm looking forward to next fall when I can really start to use my space to get back on track, just hope no more Oak comes my way. I think I'll the next time I'll take a Locust or two, those dry quicker so I hear.

andybaker said:
So far this year I have 7 stacks, 8' long and 6' high and I cut 18" in length. I haven't figured out what that is in cords yet.
Sounds like you have almost 4 cords. That would get me through the winter.

Thanks Cheif, that's what I have for this year. Sitting waiting for next year is 11 stacks the same size all of Oak and Hickory, well, lets say those are closer to 5' - 5'6" tall.

andybaker said:
Thanks Cheif, that's what I have for this year. Sitting waiting for next year is 11 stacks the same size all of Oak and Hickory, well, lets say those are closer to 5' - 5'6" tall.
Sounds like you are in good shape to me.....better than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.