Does not using a chimney cap cause TOO much draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michellebran

Dec 6, 2011
Northern MN
Hi!

I have searched old threads but didn't find an answer. Didn't attach the cap this year and fired up the stove last night, and I had a hard time controlling it. Closed the air control all the way and it still burned really hot at over 600 degrees on the stove top. All I can think of is if not having the cap on caused too much draft? I'll put it back on to test my theory but wanted others' opinions. Thanks.

Anything is possible but a cap is not supposed to really be a restriction on the draft. It is only designed to keep crap out not keep smoke in. Was it windy out? That may have been the factor.

I think a cap can effect draft. I remember seeing a chart here once on the difference of draft between caps and no cap. I think the Webmaster posted it?

for a willing participant w/ a manometer (of which there are a few around) this should be easy enough to test on a cruising burn if the cap is easily accessible.

Volunteers?

pen

Could it have been from the cold weather? It was -2 down here this morning. I loaded the stove like any other day and got the air shut down and the stove acted like the air control was still half open. That is the only thing I could think of this morning with the major temp difference and my 18 ft of class A inside was causing a huge amount of draw through the stove.

P.S. I do have a cap on my pipe

The test results Craig posted a few years ago actually showed that draft increases with a cap.

Please put your stove in your signature line so we know what you are burning in. Thanks.

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your replies, (and this is regarding the Jotul)

I replaced the cap and it it still burning really really hot with no air, but not quite as out of control, so maybe putting the cap back on does help. The conditions weren't windy or terribly cold. Honestly, I think it might be the really really REALLY dry red oak we're burning.

Thanks for all the help, love the forum..

Chad
Jotul Oslo downstairs
Englander insert upstairs

Status
Not open for further replies.