Does This Wood Pile Make My Ash Look Big

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

This is all the ash I've C/S/S in the last month. Not quite 2 full cords of scrounging. Here you go. Be gentle, as I'm pallet challenged as of now. There is about 3-6 inches between the rows that you cannot see from the pix. I also have better than a face of 50/50 oak/ash in the shed that's over a year C/S/S.

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 725
Looks good to me. You have to start somewhere right?

Nice start! Now that you are hooked, I give you a year or two until yer whole back yard is covered in wood.....

Scotty Overkill said:
Nice start! Now that you are hooked, I give you a year or two until yer whole back yard is covered in wood.....

I hear that!! That's just what I've scrounged from 300 yards from my house!!! There's still some there also, but it's the small and really large stuff. I hate noodling the large stuff also............can never get away from a jammed chain!!!!

A bud has gotten me access to a spot I can cut all I want/need. I also had a neighbor (in the trucking industry) drop me off 2 pallets today. It's looking good!!

Picked up my stove today also. Y'all don't need to see another picture of an Englander NC13 on a pallet in the garage...........so I held off!!!

Did you like my ash???!!

Nice ash ;-)

dorkweed said:
Scotty Overkill said:

I hear that!! That's just what I've scrounged from 300 yards from my house!!! There's still some there also, but it's the small and really large stuff. I hate noodling the large stuff also............can never get away from a jammed chain!!!!

A bud has gotten me access to a spot I can cut all I want/need. I also had a neighbor (in the trucking industry) drop me off 2 pallets today. It's looking good!!

Picked up my stove today also. Y'all don't need to see another picture of an Englander NC13 on a pallet in the garage...........so I held off!!!

Did you like my ash???!!
Looks good, keep c/s/s ing. I love wood when it is fresh split......it looks so pretty! As for the pics, I never tire of pics of wood, stoves, woods, stacks, wood sheds.....well you get the picture :)

Your ash looks huge in that pile.

dorkweed said:
Did you like my ash???!!
It's kind of White butt it will get tanned as the Summer progresses. :smirk:

Looks pretty green where you are. You're probably getting some warm weather already, like I am. I enjoy going out to the stacks and listening to the wood dry. :cheese:

Woody Stover said:
dorkweed said:
Did you like my ash???!!
It's kind of White butt it will get tanned as the Summer progresses. :smirk:

Looks pretty green where you are. You're probably getting some warm weather already, like I am. I enjoy going out to the stacks and listening to the wood dry. :cheese:

Woody, I'm almost as far North in "The Peoples Republic of Illlinois" as you can get and about 18 miles West of Lake Michigan. I'm just 4 miles South of Wisconsin. It's been a crazy mild winter here. We had more snow in late Feb. and early March than all of Nov., Dec., and Jan.!!!

I get colder this time of year than in the "brutal cold". It gets so blasted damp here......especially with East winds off the lake. The wind has razor blades in it: as it cuts right thru you!!!!

dorkweed said:
I get colder this time of year than in the "brutal cold". It gets so blasted damp here......especially with East winds off the lake. The wind has razor blades in it: as it cuts right thru you!!!!
I know what you're talking about; I grew up in the Milwaukee area. A neighbor of mine moved here from CO, and he says +20 here is like -10 out there because of the humidity.

dorkweed said:
This is all the ash I've C/S/S in the last month. Not quite 2 full cords of scrounging. Here you go. Be gentle, as I'm pallet challenged as of now. There is about 3-6 inches between the rows that you cannot see from the pix. I also have better than a face of 50/50 oak/ash in the shed that's over a year C/S/S.

Did you debark all that ash?! Amazing. I would also advise you get that oak outside. It won't dry much in the shed. Around here, we leave oak 3 years before trying to burn it. If it were in the shed, we'd probably leave it 5 years.

That is funny about the east winds along the lake. I remember one day listening to a Chicago radio station many moons ago (WILS, I think) and the temperature was in the lower 80's. Lots of bare skin on the beach....until that east wind came up. The temperature dropped 25 degrees in just a few minutes. I'll bet that bare skin ran for cover. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
dorkweed said:

Did you debark all that ash?! Amazing. I would also advise you get that oak outside. It won't dry much in the shed. Around here, we leave oak 3 years before trying to burn it. If it were in the shed, we'd probably leave it 5 years.

That is funny about the east winds along the lake. I remember one day listening to a Chicago radio station many moons ago (WILS, I think) and the temperature was in the lower 80's. Lots of bare skin on the beach....until that east wind came up. The temperature dropped 25 degrees in just a few minutes. I'll bet that bare skin ran for cover. lol

The oak was dead when it fell.....................and when I cut and split it.............and when I stacked it in my shed last year.

Lessen your fears!!!

I have been splashed in the face with water when splitting "dead" Oak. The stuff is full of water and does not lose much until it is split open.

You guys quit ogling his ash.

Where do you live? I always have 3-8 empty pallets left on my truck at the end of every work day.

Flatbedford said:
I have been splashed in the face with water when splitting "dead" Oak. The stuff is full of water and does not lose much until it is split open.
I got some dead standing Red and Black last year and it was all upper 20s MC, as was the White that blew down last Summer, which I bucked this week. I also got a blown-down Pin last year but don't recall how wet it was...I'm thinking around 30%. I'll have to check the MC again when I go back to get the rest of the trunk.

Flatbedford said:

The oak in my shed was from an essentially "dead' oak that fell in my buds yard last summer. Wasn't any water spewing out from my wedges etc. when I split it!!!!

I do appreciate you concern though!!

What do you think of you Ash!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.