Does unseasoned wood still burn ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok , here's the physics again...

wood in its natural form still conatins approximately 8500 BTU per lb stored energy. the amount of moisture present does not decrease this, however the amount of moisture contained determines what this stored energy is used for in a fire.

before wood can be consumed(as in burnt) the moisture present must be evaporated away. cooking this moisture out of the wood takes thermal energy (BTU's) while this is happening the moisture leaving is simply retarding the building of excess heat (remember evaporation is a cooling function) therefore high heat releasing doesnt happen so the complete burning (which results in lower emmissions) doesnt happen or is seriously degraded. once this green wood has been "dried" by heat it starts being consumed at a rate which allows faster release of stored energy not restricted by evaporation and "clean burning" starts.

the "cooking out" of green wood wastes a large percentage of stored energy. while the "load" may last longer, the usable fraction of the "stored energy" released into the room from radient heat is reduced due to the need for this stored energy to create evaporation before the load can start producing heat used for the intended purpose.

oldspark said:
"Because that is what is required to burn wet wood and achieve high temperatures. " You know I have burnt wood for over 30 years and never have burnt wet wood, I tried some green elm once and said this sucks and went out and cut dead wood in knee deep snow.

It does suck and it is quite the motivator to get dry wood for the following season. I am very happy that I no longer have to deal with that.

NATE379 said:
Haha!

I just find it weird that I can heat my house with minimal wood where many folks are burning through 5-10 cords with warmer outdoor temps.

My place isn't anything special, spec house to min code really.

BrowningBAR said:
NATE379 said:
Sure if you run the stove at damn near meltdown it won't smoke much, but stove running at day at 750* you could heat a 10,000 sq ft uninsulated castle to 75*!

My experience, unfortunately, differs. :lol:

Heck your guys houses are so close togeather over there its like an apartment nate!! thats why.

Three pages of posts about some wood that the OP did not even know what the moisture content was, it was just a little "heavy" but burnt well, you cant make this stuff up.

I'm sorry but I just had to use those quotes in my sig.

oldspark said:
Danno77 said:
Ok, good discussion going. Wanna here something funny?
Yes let me guess, the wood was not that wet?
lol, this has me in stitches. Do you know how hard it was to keep my mouth shut after I did a MM check, but you guys just kept going and going.

Only on hearth.com can a post about heavy wood being theoretically wet lead to such a banter. I'm glad we all get along.
(15-18%)

Danno77 said:
oldspark said:
Danno77 said:
lol, this has me in stitches. Do you know how hard it was to keep my mouth shut after I did a MM check, but you guys just kept going and going.

Only on hearth.com can a post about heavy wood being theoretically wet lead to such a banter. I'm glad we all get along.
(15-18%)

" The Oak Haters" Love to talk about it never getting dry for some reason

Danno77 said:
oldspark said:
Danno77 said:

(15-18%)

Ha, ha! Maybe you are just used to totin' that pansy-ass black walnut. :lol:

OK... now find some stuff that won't even register on the MM and give that a try. ;-P

been burning a lot of pine lately, maybe that's my problem. Don't knock the BW!!!!!

First real season burning my new EPA stove....installed it last February. I started burning really good seasoned wood in it. Learned pretty quickly and found it very easy to run. Then, I decided to try some marginal stuff.......a really big pile of uglies, red, white, and pin oak, some ash, that I cut and split last winter. I was burning it in my Buck with no trouble, and I really wanted to get rid of that pile. It has been in a long narrow pile facing the south, with good air flow since last January. It is all short stuff and ugly! I really didn't figure I could burn it in the new stove because I know how wet oak is and how hard it is to season, and I have read way to much on here about how much more difficult marginal stuff is to burn in an EPA stove. I really wanted to get rid of it though. So, gave it a try, and much to my surprise, it burns just fine, no trouble at all. It catches, burns, and heats just like the really good stuff. No, I have not checked it with a moisture meter (just my stoves). My conclusion......cut short and optimal drying conditions, oak will season just fine in a year. Or at least it did for me, this time.

"My conclusion…...cut short and optimal drying conditions, oak will season just fine in a year. Or at least it did for me, this time."
tdfchief-you have seen the light and have been saved! Can I hear a AMEN

;-)

oldspark said:
"My conclusion…...cut short and optimal drying conditions, oak will season just fine in a year. Or at least it did for me, this time."
tdfchief-you have seen the light and have been saved! Can I hear a AMEN

;-)
Sure, AMEN brother :coolsmirk:

stoveguy2esw said:
ok , here's the physics again...

wood in its natural form still conatins approximately 8500 BTU per lb stored energy. the amount of moisture present does not decrease this, however the amount of moisture contained determines what this stored energy is used for in a fire.

before wood can be consumed(as in burnt) the moisture present must be evaporated away. cooking this moisture out of the wood takes thermal energy (BTU's) while this is happening the moisture leaving is simply retarding the building of excess heat (remember evaporation is a cooling function) therefore high heat releasing doesnt happen so the complete burning (which results in lower emmissions) doesnt happen or is seriously degraded. once this green wood has been "dried" by heat it starts being consumed at a rate which allows faster release of stored energy not restricted by evaporation and "clean burning" starts.

the "cooking out" of green wood wastes a large percentage of stored energy. while the "load" may last longer, the usable fraction of the "stored energy" released into the room from radient heat is reduced due to the need for this stored energy to create evaporation before the load can start producing heat used for the intended purpose.

Mike, I'm not a physicist, but I understand the physics and chemistry behind all this pretty well, maybe a little too well. That's why I have such a hard time wrapping my mind around some of the conflicting logic I often read here. So, no disrespect meant, but wood in it's natural form contains water, so it can't possibly contain 8500BTU/lb. Water don't burn. There is also the latent heat loss of water of combustion to subtract. This brings the actual potential for sensible heat output (low heat value or LHV) down to only about 6000 BTU/lb wood at 20% MCwb.

Since about 1050 Btu are necessary to boil or evaporate a pound of water, and 1 Btu additional is necessary to raise the pound's temperature 1°F, it is possible to determine the latent heat fairly easily by knowing the total weight of water vapor given off by the fire. We had the 0.25 pound of moisture content. Add about 0.54 pound of water vapor as products of combustion. If we assume low humidity conditions that contribution is small. We now have 0.79 pounds of water vapor that started at say 60°F average temperature and was heated to say 400°F. The latent heat is then 0.79 times (1050 plus 340 temp rise) or 1098 Btu per 1.25 pound piece, or 880 Btu/pound. Therefore, the (low heat value (LHV) of wood fuel is less than the high heat value (HHV) by this amount. The result is that the available energy in seasoned (20% moisture content) wood used in an actual usage environment (400°F flue gases) is about 6050 Btu/pound. We feel that this is the most realistic number to use for domestic wood burning as it is the number that would apply if the user weighed his wood as part of determining efficiency of his appliance.

http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/311.html

Now, if you were to add another 1/4 pound of water to that 1 1/4 pound split, it would weigh 1 1/2 pounds and would be 1/3 water by weight (BTW such a split would read 50% MC on a meter... if they could read that high). The heat penalty for that extra half pound of water would be about 525 BTU out of a potential 6050 BTU lockup up in the wood fiber... about 8.7%. Significant? Yes, but not a total deal breaker to me.

Now, let's go to that typical set of circumstances that Old Spark was referring to above. A newb can't get a good burn. Now, we all know it can't be poor air control, load timing, firebox load configuration, poor draft, excess draft, wrong flue size, outside air temp, or even unfamiliarity with what a good burn should look like. It has to be the wood. Well, his wood was cut and stacked 6 months ago. Immediately, his fuel is brought into question. Wood can't possible dry that fast. Better get a meter. The next day he goes to Lowes, buys a moisture meter and reports a few days later that it's showing 16% on the meter. Immediately, the accuracy of his meter is brought into question. "Is it from inside a freshly-split face?" "Oops. No, it was on the outside."

So the guy grabs his axe, goes out back, and splits the piece right down the middle. Now he gets 28% on the meter. No one questions the meter anymore, the meter's fine, now they say the wood is way too wet. "Burn oil this year instead of ruining your new stove or dying from a chimney fire or maybe the plague. Start getting ahead now for the next 17 seasons, wood just gets better and better with age."

Now for starters, that 28% MC reading on the meter is a dry-basis calculation. After you do the mathematical conversion into a wet-basis calculation (weight of water divided by original weight), you find out that the wood is really only 21.8% water by weight. This is only 1.8% higher than the maximum MC allowed during the EPA test. Surely, as a stove expert, you must realized the insignificance of 1.8% water to the heat output of the burn. Now add this into the equation.

That split that was 28% MC on the meter on a fresh inner face was also 16% MC on the outside. Since there is a diffusion gradient present throughout the thickness of the wood, the chances are very good that the average MC for the entire split is well below 20% water by weight... but still considered too wet to burn. Yes, that's correct. Wood that is in the same moisture range as the wood used to get those unbelievably low emission rates during the EPA test is simply too wet to burn at home.

Man, it's only 10 AM and already I need a drink. %-P

BTW that quote I took off that website is paraphrased from a great book written almost 40 years ago by Dr. Jay Shelton. It was good info then, it remains so today.

Reactions: BrianK
Battenkiller said:
Mike, I'm not a physicist, but I understand the physics and chemistry behind all this pretty well, maybe a little too well. That's why I have such a hard time wrapping my mind around some of the conflicting logic I often read here. So, no disrespect meant, but wood in it's natural form contains water, so it can't possibly contain 8500BTU/lb. Water don't burn. There is also the latent heat loss of water of combustion to subtract. This brings the actual potential for sensible heat output (low heat value or LHV) down to only about 6000 BTU/lb wood at 20% MCwb.

Now, if you were to add another 1/4 pound of water to that 1 1/4 pound split, it would weigh 1 1/2 pounds and would be 1/3 water by weight (BTW such a split would read 50% MC on a meter... if they could read that high). The heat penalty for that extra half pound of water would be about 525 BTU out of a potential 6050 BTU lockup up in the wood fiber... about 8.7%. Significant? Yes, but not a total deal breaker to me.

So the guy grabs his axe, goes out back, and splits the piece right down the middle. Now he gets 28% on the meter. No one questions the meter anymore, the meter's fine, now they say the wood is way too wet. "Burn oil this year instead of ruining your new stove or dying from a chimney fire or maybe the plague. Start getting ahead now for the next 17 seasons, wood just gets better and better with age."

Now for starters, that 28% MC reading on the meter is a dry-basis calculation. After you do the mathematical conversion into a wet-basis calculation (weight of water divided by original weight), you find out that the wood is really only 21.8% water by weight. This is only 1.8% higher than the maximum MC allowed during the EPA test. Surely, as a stove expert, you must realized the insignificance of 1.8% water to the heat output of the burn. Now add this into the equation.

That split that was 28% MC on the meter on a fresh inner face was also 16% MC on the outside. Since there is a diffusion gradient present throughout the thickness of the wood, the chances are very good that the average MC for the entire split is well below 20% water by weight... but still considered too wet to burn. Yes, that's correct. Wood that is in the same moisture range as the wood used to get those unbelievably low emission rates during the EPA test is simply too wet to burn at home.

Man, it's only 10 AM and already I need a drink. %-P

BTW that quote I took off that website is paraphrased from a great book written almost 40 years ago by Dr. Jay Shelton. It was good info then, it remains so today.

This is why I get frustrated when this comes up.

By the math, I agree in the difference between the potential BTU of the "seasoned" vs "not-so-seasoned" wood can provide. However, in practice it doesn't add up.

The math here is dependent upon the only difference being the water content. I contend that the difference in water content changes the characteristics of the burn. As a result, the % of potential BTU that I actually get out of the stove when burning less than ideal wood is lower than these calculations would make it appear.

pen

you type to danged much.

Anyway, whether there is water in the wood or not impacts the NET Btus of any given sample, but it does not change that number of BTUs per pound of actual wood fiber weight. So, the only caveat to Mikes original "wood in it's natural state" comment is that it ain't natural to be 0% MC!!!

Anyway, my whole deal with "net BTUs" in a wood sample when we are looking at different MC numbers is that there is a point where the MC exceeds a level in which the initial combustion of the sample can occur (on it's own).

Sure, if you toss a wet split on a hot bed of coals you can get it to burn, but the BTUs to get rid of the H2O are probably coming from the coals, not the split. It's not to say those numbers are useless, it all averages out in the end, because that split WILL eventually dry out in the firebox and be used to start the next wet split, and so on...

BUT, to say that a split contains X BTUs at whatever MC is silly beyond a point. I mean a ripe watermelon contains a certain amount of BTUs, good luck lighting the sucker. Does any of this make sense, or am I just talking out my hind quarters?

actually the stored energy is there , if you dried the wood all the way out this dry wood will contain the same "potential' now granted the wood is heavier in its natural state so i may have mislead by saying this in this way. so yeah, the more moisture that is present the smaller the origional 1 lb blockl of wood will be so when its dried it would weigh less.

anyway, depending on the moisture content the percentage of "potential' used in the drying of the wood in the fire the higher the moisture, the more energy it takes to evaporate it. so the less energy is left over to create usable heat

pen said:
This is why I get frustrated when this comes up.

By the math, I agree in the difference between the potential BTU of the "seasoned" vs "not-so-seasoned" wood can provide. However, in practice it doesn't add up.

The math here is dependent upon the only difference being the water content. I contend that the difference in water content changes the characteristics of the burn. As a result, the % of potential BTU that I actually get out of the stove when burning less than ideal wood is lower than these calculations would make it appear.

But, Pen, I agree with you 100%. I was merely addressing the latent heat loss that Mike mentioned. The fact is that most of the heat loss from burning wood at higher moisture contents comes from the fact that the extra water vapor decreases the mole fraction of O2 in the combustion air. Therefore, more air needs to be added to get the same burn. More air in means more air out, so even at identical flue temps, the mass air flow increase carries more sensible heat up the flue. There is probably another 15% heat loss from this air even if the stuff is burning freely and cleanly. So maybe a 25% total heat loss in a best case scenario? OK, still something I can live with if the only other possible choice is to turn up the thermostat on the wall.

Next year can always be better, but I'd always do what I could this year to save money and stay warm. Fortunately, I don't have to worry. I always have plenty of dry wood on hand for my needs. It's the new burner with a $5,000 install and a pile of wood that's reading over 20% MC on the meter that I'm trying to help.

Not sure why BK's math does not add up for some, 25% best case scenario makes sense to me, the other end of the spectrum is at about 50% IMHO.

Battenkiller said:
I was merely addressing the latent heat loss that Mike mentioned. The fact is that most of the heat loss from burning wood at higher moisture contents comes from the fact that the extra water vapor decreases the mole fraction of O2 in the combustion air. Therefore, more air needs to be added to get the same burn. More air in means more air out, so even at identical flue temps, the mass air flow increase carries more sensible heat up the flue. There is probably another 15% heat loss from this air even if the stuff is burning freely and cleanly. So maybe a 25% total heat loss in a best case scenario? OK, still something I can live with if the only other possible choice is to turn up the thermostat on the wall.

Next year can always be better, but I'd always do what I could this year to save money and stay warm. Fortunately, I don't have to worry. I always have plenty of dry wood on hand for my needs. It's the new burner with a $5,000 install and a pile of wood that's reading over 20% MC on the meter that I'm trying to help.

The part that I bolded is key because these secondary air stoves simply cannot dump the volume of air in needed to get low quality fuel to burn as well as the old pre-epa beasts could. I certainly put my share of unseasoned wood through the old fisher I had as well as others over the years. When I tried that in a modern stove, it laughed at me.

Having poor fuel burn worse in a modern stove is my concern if the operator doesn't check that chimney often.

I think the reason that prices of many of the pre-epa units have held high is because of the fact that folks don't realize the difference the fuel will make.

I feel compelled to mention this whenever the topic of burning less than seasoned wood brings up math which seems to prove that it isn't that big a deal.

People like to rationalize their practices, especially when they are poor ones. (like a smoker mentioning the 90 year old neighbor who still smokes a pack a day, or citing an emergency responder who explains "the person would have been killed if they were wearing their seatbelt" when they are questioned about their own poor seatbelt habits)

To the original poster and those who read this thread later: If it burns well, it burns well. If it doesn't then there is a problem and it is probably not with the stove. (but of course that had been figured out a while ago!)

pen

Danno77 said:
you type to danged much.

Sorry, it's not me, it's this danged keyboard. I think it's possessed.

Anyway, whether there is water in the wood or not impacts the NET Btus of any given sample, but it does not change that number of BTUs per pound of actual wood fiber weight. So, the only caveat to Mikes original "wood in it's natural state" comment is that it ain't natural to be 0% MC!!!

Anyway, my whole deal with "net BTUs" in a wood sample when we are looking at different MC numbers is that there is a point where the MC exceeds a level in which the initial combustion of the sample can occur (on it's own).

Sure, if you toss a wet split on a hot bed of coals you can get it to burn, but the BTUs to get rid of the H2O are probably coming from the coals, not the split. It's not to say those numbers are useless, it all averages out in the end, because that split WILL eventually dry out in the firebox and be used to start the next wet split, and so on...

BUT, to say that a split contains X BTUs at whatever MC is silly beyond a point. I mean a ripe watermelon contains a certain amount of BTUs, good luck lighting the sucker. Does any of this make sense, or am I just talking out my hind quarters?

No, BBart's mule is talking out its hind quarters.

What you are saying is perfectly true, but we ain't trying to light watermelons (OK... I'd try it, I'm speaking of saner folk).

I was just reading some stuff on wood-fired boilers and it was determined that they could not get enough heat to support combustion with wood above a certain percent water content. The study found that content to be 68%.

68% MC. Holy Cow... that's WET!

Well, I got close with the burn I documented. Average MC was 57.5% MCdb when I tested samples the night before. Note, though, that the entire fire was started with the same wood. No big, raging fire and huge coal bed, just thin pieces of wet wood fed onto a small coal bed from the night before, with a small chunk (maybe 1/8 the size of a SC) of my own personal rocket fuel fire starter to get the initial blaze started. No door cracked at all, just the intake air in the back of the stove opened all the way between additions. I got the fire going so quickly that way that I didn't even have time to write down the times, I had to go back and look at the time stamps on the digital photos to get a timeline on the whole process.

Here's an shot of the starting sequence:

Looks pretty self-sustaining to me.

At no time during the burn did it falter, nor was there ever any really noticeable smoke coming from the chimney. On a breezier day it would have been carried off quicker than you could see it, and when I did see it the duration was brief. Maybe a minute or two. Stove temps rose rapidly from a basically cold start. 45 minutes later, the stove was at 750ºF. I've read posts here where the guy had trouble reaching 400º after several hours with seasoned wood. The answer has always been that the wood is not really seasoned, the only evidence being the reported quality of the burn.

oldspark said:
Not sure why BK's math does not add up for some, 25% best case scenario makes sense to me, the other end of the spectrum is at about 50% IMHO.

I disagree with the 50% possibility. Not with freely burning wood, anyway. If you add too much air, the stove temp will drop too low for proper ignition temperatures. Flue temps will drop as well, so more air coming through won't cause more sensible heat loss, just reduce the quality and rate of the burn. Wet or dry, it's all about finding the sweet spot. For that particular burn, this was what it settled in at after I shut the bypass damper and the secondary burn lit off.

Secondary air intake opened all the way, primary intake closed down to about 1/8 the cold start setting. Cruised like that for hours, too, clean as a whistle and plenty, plenty heat in the room.

Battenkiller said:
I've read posts here where the guy had trouble reaching 400º after several hours with seasoned wood. The answer has always been that the wood is not really seasoned, the only evidence being the reported quality of the burn.

I've yet to read that trouble out of someone burning in a pre-epa stove. It's always an epa-unit. Usually they claim the fire looks good until they close the door. Unless the door is cracked, a modern secondary air stove just doesn't let a rush of air in, they need draft to pull it in and it ain't happening unless that flue is hot. Kinda get's the operater in a catch 22.

Also, burning wet wood is a lot easier when it is split as small as you have pictured. Many are throwing in rounds and average sized splits that are wet.

pen

My thoughts are not as deep as yours, I had to read it but you may be correct, the 50% figure might be over the top.
"When you add an unseasoned or wet piece of fuelwood to your fire, the water contained in the wood heats up and turns to steam, which mixes with the exhaust gases and extinguishes the secondary burn. Regardless of how sophisticated your baffle system is, this cuts your heat output by up to 50%, and results in cool, water-laden exhaust filled with unburned particles and exhaust gases. This wet, heavy, high-density smoke travels very slowly up the chimney, where it cools even further, condensing onto the walls of the flue and causing excessive creosote formation. So, when you burn unseasoned or wet wood, you dramatically DECREASE your heat output, while dramatically INCREASING the likelihood of chimney fires. "

Status
Not open for further replies.